Chapter 17

It doesn't take long to travel down the slope, and soon we're in the lower part of the city. Ark said making our way to the plaza from the bottom of the slope would be quick, but that would have been if there hadn't been an earthquake.

The streets are in shambles. Buildings have been levelled or look as if they'll collapse at the slightest breeze. The roads are torn and covered in debris. It's impossible to walk with my head up. "This is horrible," I say.

Ark looks around with a pained expression. "I can't believe this."

"Me either." My eyes moves from building to building, taking in the full extent of the damage.

"Watch where you step." Ark steps over a brick and reaches his hand back to help me over. I brush past him, stepping over on my own. A small chuckle escapes him.

"What?"

"Your personality is so different compared to what I usually see."

"And what personalities are you used to seeing?"

He walks up beside me and smiles. "Dainty and elegant."

"I am neither of the two."

"And I would never describe you like that. It would be an insult to other ladies."

I roll my eyes. "Then how would you describe me?"

"A strong-willed and aggressive woman," he states without hesitation.

I burst out laughing. "The hell!"

Ark looks at me with a confused gaze. "Did I say something I shouldn't?"

"No one's ever said something like that to me." A wide smile forms on my face as I continue laughing.

"Is it that funny?"

"It is." I wipe tears from my eyes. "A strong-willed and aggressive woman. I like it."

He chuckles. "I see."

"Ah, that gave me a good laugh. I needed that." I let out a long sigh as I look towards the sky. Stars twinkle as the moon illuminates the darkness. If I only looked at this, I'd think there's nothing wrong around me, but the streets tell a different story.

"Renée!" Ark grabs my arm and pulls me back. A pile of bricks hits the spot I was standing seconds later, creating a cloud of dust.

I stare at the pile that's at least my height, my eyes wide. "Holy shit..." I could have died again.

"We need to watch our surroundings. These buildings look unstable," Ark says as he releases my arm.

"Thank you."

"Don't worry about it."

The bricks have blocked the entire street. I glance up, noticing a gaping hole in the top floor of a building. A person stands near the edge, their hands on their head at the sight.

"I don't see any gaps in the pile. The street is blocked."

"Great." I sigh as I glance behind me. "I guess we'll have to go back the way we came and take a different path." But I don't get a response from him. I spin around and watch Ark scale the pile of bricks. "What are you doing?"

"Climbing so we can keep going," he says as he reaches the top and extends his hand back to me. "Now, let's go."

"You can't be serious."

"I'm dead serious."

"You expect me to scale this mountain of bricks?"

"With some help, yes."