Chapter 2

After printing our tickets and luggage tags, and selecting our seats, the ten of us moved to the baggage check. Just as Paul predicted, the airline charged Bridget extra for her bags. We all got a good laugh out of that. And it wasn't long before we were making our way towards security.

As we walk, I notice Julia staring at her tickets. "Is something up?" I ask.

"I've never had three tickets to get to one destination before."

"Is this your first time on connecting flights?"

"I don't remember. It's been at least a decade since I was last on a plane. I had to get my passport updated just for this." She stuffs her tickets into her bag and zips it shut.

"We're just lucky that we got Gwen and Josh sitting beside you and Paul for the fights. It should help them be a bit more comfortable since it's their first time flying," Bridget says.

I smile. "That'll make things easier on you, right, Gwen?" But I get no response. She's walking beside me in silence, her eyes focused on the approaching security line. "Gwen," I say as I take her hand.

"What?" She blinks as she glances up.

"Are you nervous?"

She doesn't respond, but I can feel her hand shaking in mine.

"You don't need to worry about security. Everything will be fine." I squeeze her hand.

"Really?"

"Really." I smile.

Julia walks up behind her and pats her back. "Don't worry. We'll help you through the process."

"Says the person who hasn't flown in a decade and barely remembers it." I chuckle.

"I can be helpful," she states.

Gwen tilts her head to the side and nervously smiles. "You guys are the best." Julia and I giggle along with her as we reach the end of the security line.

"Besides," Bridget says as she pulls out her phone. "You're doing much better than our school's star athlete over there." She motions behind her head. Confused, the three of us look back.

Behind us, shaking like a newborn fawn, is our school's star athlete, Josh Cartel. He's desperately holding onto Roy and Daniel, who are supporting him on their shoulders as he struggles to walk. Wes and Shaun follow behind them, each pulling an extra suitcase.

"Pull yourself together!" Roy yells. "And could you please stop squeezing my shoulders?!"

"I... I don't know if... I can do this..." Josh stammers.

"God, you're heavy! There's too much muscle on you!" Daniel complains as he struggles to support him. "And I just go rid of Bridget's luggage too!"

"They weren't that heavy, Daniel!" Bridget shouts back.

"They were heavy enough!"

"Okay, you guys, let's stop screaming at each other," I say, as I glance at everyone.

"I don't think anyone is helping with those comments." Julia sighs.

Gwen shakes her head. "I don't think... so either."

"You're doing great, Josh." Paul says in a calm tone with an awkward smile. "Take some deep breaths. Everything is going to be fine."

"That's right!" Wes smiles. "You're more likely to die in a car than on a plane! Unless something goes wrong, like a double engine failure, we'll be okay!"

"Wes!" we all shout.

He looks around with a confused expression. "What?"

"You're not helping!" Shaun shouts.