Chapter 4

"Follow your heart and be happy. That is the best advice I can give you."

Follow my heart and be happy? That's the best advice I can give you and your friends? What the hell does that elderly woman mean by that? Am I not following my heart? And what right does she have to say that? It doesn't make any sense.

"Aria." A hand grabs my arm, pulling me out of my thoughts. I glance down to see Gwen holding onto me with a concerned look in her eyes. "Where are you going?"

I look up at the seat numbers on the overhead bins. Row 18. I almost walked right past my seat. "Thanks," I say as I lift my carry-on into the overhead bin. "I think I'm a little out of it."

"A little? You walked right past us," Shaun says.

"Shut up." I slam the bin shut and shimmy past them to my seat beside the window. "I just got caught in my thoughts."

"About the old lady?"

"So you think she's weird too?"

He nods. "It's a little weird that she started talking about random people like that. And the way she talked—it seemed old-fashioned if you ask me."

"Maybe she's just a friendly person who needs someone to talk to," Gwen says.

"You think so?" I ask.

"I'm just suggesting it."

I nod as I click my seatbelt together. "Well, she seemed nice at least."

"Who seemed nice?" Paul asks from row behind us.

"A lady we helped onto the plane." I glance back at him and Josh.

"But she was also a little weird. She talked in an old-fashioned way," Shaun says.

"Got you, but maybe we don't hear many people speak like she did, so that's what seemed weird," Paul says.

But could that really be all? Is that why I'm so confused by her words?

"Anyway, how are you feeling, Josh?" Shaun looks back.

"I'm not that nervous this time." A light breath escapes him. "I was freaked out over nothing. Airplanes aren't that bad."

"And how about you, Gwen? I didn't get to ask you earlier since we were so rushed," Paul says.

She looks back. "I'm okay now, but I still don't like it that much."

"I agree with you," Josh states.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome aboard flight 823 with non-stop service from Montréal to Brussels. Our flight today is estimated to be 6 hours and 45 minutes. We are just waiting for permission to pushback, so we will be in the air shortly. In the meantime, we ask that you please fasten your seatbelts, and ensure all belongings are either under the seat in front of you, or stored in the overhead bins. We also ask that your tray tables and seats are in the upright and locked position until we have reached our cruising altitude and the fasten seatbelt sign has been switched off. All electronic devices must be switched to airplane mode for the duration of the flight. Thank you for your attention and choosing to fly with us this evening."

"Seems we'll be ready to go any minute." I smile.

Gwen fastens her seatbelt. "I hope this flight is as nice as the last one was."

"I'm sure it will be."

A moment later, the plane pushes away from the gate, and we're taxiing towards the runway. "Ladies and gentlemen, we now ask you to direct your attention to the television monitors in front of you and the safety cards in your seat pockets. We will now be showing our safety demonstration and ask for your undivided attention for a few brief moments." I turn my attention to the screen and listen as I scan the safety card. I've seen these videos too many times to count, but I still pay close attention. I'm sitting right over the wing, and the emergency exit is right beside me.