Chapter 16

I walk through the alleyways of Peirpont in silence, unsure of where the hell I am. Nothing looks familiar, and the buildings are packed so close together that the sun barely reaches the ground. I'm confused, lost, and I don't know how I'm going to find my way back.

But right now, that might be the least of my worries.

"Could you please stop following me?" I ask the man who saved me.

"I just want to make sure you arrive at your destination," he says.

"I'll be fine," I state.

I didn't think he was sketchy when he saved me, but I wasn't taking any chances, so I left him behind. But then I realized he was following me at a distance. I sped up my pace to put some space between us, but he sped up to keep that same distance. If I slow down, he slows down as well. And if I didn't think he was creepy before, I do now.

"I don't think you heard what I said. I'll be fine on my own."

"You weren't fine when you ran into those men, no—they're more like a disgrace to humanity."

I stumble over a brick but catch myself. A sigh escapes me as I glance around. There's debris everywhere from the earthquake, and the faster I move, the harder it is to avoid.

"I said I'm fine." I huff and continue down the gravel road.

"I see. And what will you do if you end up meeting someone dangerous or strange?" There's a concerned tone to his voice.

As if you aren't either. "I'll fend them off as best as I can, like I did earlier."

"You weren't able to defend yourself."

"I acknowledge you helped me, but I'll be alright on my own." I pick up my pace.

He speeds up as well. "I doubt you will be."

I spin around and glare. He jumps in surprise. "And why do you think that?!"

A cheesy smile covers his lips. "Because you're beautiful."

Oh my God. He's a sweet talker too. "Listen, I don't know what possessed you to follow me, but please stop! I don't need your help, alright?!"

His eyes widen before he runs his hand through his hair. "I was just trying to be helpful."

"Helpful?! You call this helpful?!" My jaw drops. "This isn't helpful!!"

"I... see..."

I stare at him in disbelief. "Is that all you have to say?!" He doesn't respond. "What kind of person follows someone who clearly doesn't want to be followed?!"

"I was worried, and wanted to make sure you returned safely." He chuckles.

"Did it cross your mind how I would feel with a strange man, who I know nothing about, following me?! Two complete strangers almost sold me! You have a brain in your head, don't you?! If you do, use it!!"

He blinks before slowly nodding. "I see what you're saying. I didn't think it through. Forgive me."

"I accept your apology." I sigh as I cross my arms. "So, will you stop following me?"

He's silent for a moment before a cheesy grin appears on his face. "No way."

I ball my hands, my nails digging into my palms. This little shit. "Screw it." I turn away and rub the back of my neck.

I can feel his eyes burning a hole in my back. "Miss?" he asks.

I turn back and look into his eyes. "You're not going to back down, are you?"