Chapter 12

No. That was all Renée's father said when I asked to go outside the estate walls. A very clear-cut and blunt answer. He sent me out of his office right after, and that was that.

But I wasn't going to back down. I asked again... and again... and again... getting the same answer each time. He won't listen to me whenever I bring up the topic, and it's aggravating.

A couple of days passed, and I continued my usual routine, but a bitter feeling rooted inside me. Why? Why won't he let me go outside the walls? What's making him push me away like this?

"Lady Renée." Maryanne taps my shoulder.

I blink before looking at her. "What's up?"

"What's up?" She looks confused. "What might that mean?"

I nervously chuckle. "I mean... why did you tap my shoulder?"

"I've been attempting to get your attention for a short while. It's time for your family dinner."

I glance at the windows and see the sky darkening. "What time is it?"

"Just past eight."

"Is it really?"

She nods. "Yes."

I jump off the love seat and quickly grab my belongings. "I'm late!" I say as I rush towards the library stairs.

"There's no hurry, Lady Renée." Maryanne follows behind me, struggling to keep up.

"I can't keep them waiting for me." I reach the second floor landing and dash down the next staircase.

"They will understand if you're late."

"But I still can't keep them..." My voice trails off as I see Nigel walk into the library. He looks at the staircase to see me running down the steps.

"Renée! There's no need to rush!" His eyes are full of concern. The librarian turns and aggressively shushes him. Nigel glances over and awkwardly smiles. "My apologies."

I reach the main floor and approach him. "Shouldn't you be in the dining room for dinner?"

"Mother and father sent me to search for you since you were late, but I never expected to find you here." He looks around the library.

"I apologize for being late."

"It's nothing to worry about. But let me escort you there." He holds his arm out for me to take.

I look back at Maryanne. "Please take these back to my room for me." I pass her my notebook and floor plan. "And have a good dinner."

"Thank you, Lady Renée." She smiles before leaving us.

I grab Nigel's arm. "Shall we?"

"Of course." He chuckles as we walk out into the hall. "I'm still surprised seeing you in the library."

"Is it that surprising to see me there?"

"You rarely spent any time in the library, and now I hear that you've spent nearly two weeks reading in the room you disliked. It's a little out of character."

"Is it?"

"Yes. You've changed since you recovered from you fever, especially your personality."

I chuckle nervously. "Really?"

"But I believe it's good."

I glance at him. "What is my personality?"

He gives me a funny look before smiling. "That's a tough question to answer."

RenéeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara