10. strawberry cake

" what?! no way

" what?! no way. so is this some kind of love triangle now? " aki questioned as she stuffed her face with the strawberry cake she brought from the pastry stall.

" it's not a love triangle, aki, " you deadpanned as your rubbed your temples. the restricted blood vessels from your hangover were getting the better of you, " i mean i'm freaking dating takahashi. i only have feelings for that one lame dude. "

" yeah but you also said you saw him with hana?! " she was getting worked up, " if what you saw was really true, then i don't think that's how someone with a girlfriend is supposed to act. why are they being so sneaky? "

" argh... i don't know anymore... " you groaned as you slammed your forehead on the table.

" come, sit up. the table is unsanitary, " aki said as she propped you up, " eat or you're going to end up throwing up again. "

she shoved her half eaten strawberry cake in front of you, " i never share my strawberry cakes. be grateful. "

" thanks, " you mumbled as you took a nibble of the cake.

" so, what do you plan on doing? " aki questioned as she started playing with her fingers.

" honestly, i don't even know. he's CLEARLY avoiding me... and only God knows why he's doing that, what more can i do? " you said, looking like you were on the verge of just giving up completely.

aki looked up at you and stole the strawberry cake back. she gave you a weird look, " damn. aki mama didn't raise no weak bitch, you gotta go all alpha on him. you know what i mean? like go up there and ask him, ' hey! what the fck is your problem?! ' you know? " her voice dropping 3 octaves impersonating you.

" i don't think it's going to end well like that. "

" so what? you're just going to avoid each other? then what's the point of calling him your boyfriend if you both are going to be like that, " aki sassed as she leaned forward, giving you a duh face.

" hey couples fight you know, " you reasoned.

" ya and if a couple wants shit to work, a couple will talk things out, " heize stated, " i mean... your other option would be settling it in a ring... maybe beating his ass with an upper cut would be faster, more effective. "

" that's... no, " you sighed in defeat, " but i hate how you're right. i just have to find him to talk things out. "

" yeah... when am i ever wrong, " aki winked.

you decided to talk to takahashi after school. since you didn't have a working phone, you waited for him outside the sports hall, figuring that you'd find him there since volleyball training was on today.

" so there she is, the little cheating bastard, " you heard a sickening high pitched voice come from no where.

you turned around, only to come face to face with hana.

" excuse me? "

" you heard me. since you and takahashi have broken up... you won't mind if i steal you man, would you? oh wait... pity. he's not yours anymore, " she sarcastically taunted.

your head was still in pain and it took you awhile to evaluate whatever just came out of her mouth, " what the hell are you- "

before you could complete your sentence, she shoved her phone in front of your face. her phone displayed a picture of you leaning on haru's shoulder at the bar from yesterday.

you heart started racing. you had so many questions.

how did hana get that photo? did takahashi see it and thought i cheated on him? is that why he's acting like this? does he want to break up with me?

you panicked. not because you felt guilty, but because it had occured to you that a misunderstanding as simple as this could potentially screw your relationship with takahashi up.

" speechless? " hana smirked as she leaned closer.

" i would never chea- "

" hana, " you heard a familiar voice call from behind her.

" takahashi! " she sweetly smiled as she distanced herself from you, " you're early! "

" yeah... figured that i'd come set up the area, " takahashi said.

he turned to look at you with a blank expression.

" hana, can you go ahead? i have to talk to y/n... alone. "

" of course, " she smiled at takahashi and then side eyed you as she walked away.

" takahashi i- "

" save it, " he said as he looked away, " i don't want to deal with this today. "

with that, he walked right past you into the gym, not even looking back once at you.

there it was again, that (seeming to be) familiar sour sting in your heart.

your mind wanted to call out to him and hug him and tell him that nothing ever happened but your body was just frozen to the ground.

you didn't notice you had your fists balled up until you felt sharp stings of pain on the inside of your hand. you bit your lip hard as you tried your best to hold in your tears.

you took yourself to the school gate like this, surprised when you saw a familiar face waiting at the entrance.

" y/n! y/n... hey are you okay? "

you couldn't hold it in any longer. you just stood at the entrance as tears started streaming down your face. your lips were swollen and red from all the biting.

you felt yourself get enveloped in a hug. a hug you didn't reciprocate. it just didn't feel right to.

you tugged onto his sweater and gently pushed him away as you imagined how you would feel if hana were to hug takahashi like this.

at this point in time, everyone was looking at the two of you.

what was a guy like him, who doesn't even attend here, doing with a girl like you?

" haru? what are you doing here? "

hello! i haven't been feeling too well these days. i guess the reality of life is kinda upsetting but nonetheless, ill keep writing and try to publish regularly :)