Part 43

Weeks went by, I've never felt more depressed in my life. I would try and cover up my sadness around Harry and our friends however, I know they could tell things weren't okay. I was at breakfast trying to force myself to eat. "Do you know who you're bringing to Slughorn's Christmas party yet?" Harry asked me. I sighed, I hadn't even thought about it. "Actually no, I forgot." He nodded. "Well maybe Hermione and I could help you find someone." I nodded. "Maybe," I wasn't sure if what I needed right now was to have "date" to this party but I'd be the only one without one and I already had a really pretty dress picked out. "Okay so Harry and I have already thought of someone," Hermione said as if she couldn't wait to get it out. "Who?" I asked. I could see Hermione looking at the Ravenclaw table. I was hoping she was looking at anyone but Marcus, me and him had not spoken much at all. However he was nice when he did see me and he never told anyone my secret about Draco. I looked to see who Hermione was looking at, she was looking at Michael Corner. "Michael?" I asked. She nodded. "Yes, I may or may have not find out he thinks your cute." She said. "Are you sure?" I asked. I don't think Michael would be a bad date however, I didn't feel ready to go on any kind of date. "Yes I'm sure, you should try and talk to him." Hermione added. I looked down at my still untouched breakfast. "Okay, I'll think about it." I said. Classes started in 5 minutes so everyone started leaving the great hall to head to class.

It was time for potions, I dreaded any class I had with Draco now and this was one of them. Oddly enough Michael was in this class also. I still wasn't sure if I was going to talk to him or not. I took a deep breath before waking into potions. I tried to avoid looking up at anyone so I acted like I was looking at my book while I walked in. I made my way to our table realizing Hermione obviously invited Michael over. Why were they like this, clearly Harry had something to do with this also. I just sat down and looked at my book. Ron was sitting with his Lavender so it was if Hermione was playing match maker as her distraction. Slughorn gave us a recipe to work on. Harry and Hermione were talking about something between themselves. "Hey," Michael said. "Hi," I said back, while looking at my book. "I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be awkward, um Hermione said I should talk to you," he was talking low so no one could hear us. There was talking between other tables so it wasn't really quite. Slughorn was letting us work in groups at our tables. "It's okay, she told me I should talk to you too," he let out a small laugh. "Well I guess we have no choice than?" I shrugged. "I guess not," I laughed too which actually felt good cause it wasn't forced for the first time in weeks. "Do you want help each other?" He pointed at the recipe I was reading. "Sure," I said "I'll get these," he walked away to go gather all the ingredients. He brought them back and we started mixing items together that we needed. After 30 minutes went by he actually had me talking a lot. "Fizzing Whizzbees are probably my least favorite candy," he said "I prefer to stay on the ground when eating my candy," he laughed. "I prefer anything chocolate," I said. "Typical girl," he added while laughing. We had finally finished brewing our potions and just had to wait on a few other students to finish. "We should hang out sometime after classes one day," he said. "You've been really fun to talk too," he added. "Yeah we can, it's been nice talking to you too," I said. Slughorn was finally making his way around to check everyone's potions. I turned to see who's potion he was checking, I instantly regretted it as I made eye contact with Draco. I felt my heart sink, as much as I wanted to hate him for hurting me so badly I couldn't. He turned away from my glaze, we always ended the day awkwardly since we still had to sit by each other in defense against the dark arts.

The rest of the classes and lunch went by smoothly, I even talked to Michael between classes. He seemed like he could be a really good friend. Now it was time for my least favorite class, defense against the dark arts. The awkward silence that came with this class now was not fun. You think we'd at least talk but no. He hadn't made to class yet so I sat down first moving my chair as far to the end as I could. There wasn't a lot of people in class yet. He already had the assignment up he wanted us to do so I got my book out to start looking over things. I could just feel Draco's presents walking in and I also could smell is cologne. He slowly pulled his chair out and sat down but never said a word. It was always so awkward and I hated it. My whole body was fighting the urge to turn towards him and hug him. I kept telling myself not to even look at him but I just couldn't anymore I just felt so much tension in the space that was between us. I finally turned towards him. "How have you been?" I felt stupid. What a stupid question even ask. "Um, I'm here so." That's all he said. I didn't even know what to respond. "Sorry," is all I said. I turned away and went back to doing my work. "You don't have to be sorry, you haven't done anything wrong." He said. "Well you make me feel like I have." I guess I felt a lot of anger towards him as well as hurt because those words basically just fell out of my mouth. "I know, but I promise you haven't. All of this is my fault." He said. We were having to whisper so other classmates didn't hear us. "Can we talk after class?" I asked. I didn't want to talk about these things in-front of everyone and I still felt hope for us.  He sighed. "I don't know if that's the best idea..." I just turned around. I felt so angry after everything we've been through, he won't even give it a chance. "Whatever." I felt so angry. "Kaylee..." I cut him off. "Just leave me alone." He probably could tell how angry I was because he didn't say anything word the rest of the class. When class ended I gathered me thing, and walked out but Draco grabbed my bag abc pulled me back. "Let's go talk." He said. "No." I said with no hesitation. "Your mad?" He asked. "Obviously." I said. "Let's go talk, so you can tell me the same thing I don't want to hear?" I said. He sighed. "You asked me to talk," he said. "Well forget it, just leave me alone from now on and I mean it, at the point I don't even think I want to be your friend." He shook his head. "Your just angry you don't mean that," he said. "No, I mean it. I want to forget everything that's happened between us. If there was a way I'd do it. Goodbye Malfoy." I walked off before he had a chance to stop me. I could hear his foot steps behind me but I just walked faster. I felt tears coming down my face, I didn't want him to see this actually hurt me. I looked back and he had stopped following me, he had already turned around and went the opposite way.