21.

Meredith and Derek began a routine of those less complicated days they were talking about the night they spoke about what had happened between Lexie and Mark. Meredith went to school before coming home and studying before making dinner for the two of them for when Derek got home from work. Derek was so exhausted from the amount of shifts he took on trying to make enough money for rent and the baby. Meredith was beginning to feel awful about everything. She tried to get a job but Derek refused to let her do that and convinced her that it wouldn't be good for the baby if she became as exhausted as he felt.

Despite his long hours, Derek still managed to be there for Meredith. He attended every doctor's appointment and was excited for today's ultrasound more than anything. Meredith looked over at him and his joy was written all over his face. She could see he meant the smile he wore as it went all the way up to his tired eyes.

"Meredith Grey?" The nurse called her into the room. "This way." She explained as Meredith and Derek followed her into the room. "Put this on." She instructed before turning around to leave.

"So do we want to know if it's a boy or a girl if they can see?" Meredith asked Derek as she undressed and began to put the gown on.

"If you want to... or we could have it be a surprise like they did before all of this stuff existed." Derek offered, motioning to the ultrasound equipment.

"Well, I think we will know what the right answer is when the doctor asks." Meredith smiled as she climbed onto the table and pulled the blanket over her as he lay down.

"Sounds like a plan." Derek smiled as he grasped her hand in his and leaned over to kiss her forehead.

The door open and Derek's smile brightened. "Mom!" He exclaimed. "What are you doing here?" He asked as he walked over to her and gave her a big hug.

"I asked if I could do the ultrasound and the doctor said that it was fine with her. They are training me on the new machine so I'm quite excited." His mom said before walking over to Meredith and giving her a hug that made her feel all warm and loved inside. "How are you feeling sweetheart?" She asked.

"Good. The baby has been a little jumping bean lately, jumping on my bladder especially. But other than that I've been sleeping well and no more morning sickness." Meredith smiled.

"Good." Carolyn smiled. "Let's get this started, shall we?" She asked as she grabbed for the ultrasound and put the jelly on the wand. "This may be a little cold." She told her as she pulled the gown over Meredith's baby bump that was now quite evident.

Carolyn placed the wand over her abdomen and pushed down slightly as she manoeuvred the want on an angle to try and get a picture of Meredith's uterus. When she found the uterus on the screen she tapped a few buttons to enlarge the picture. The whooshing sounds of the baby's heartbeat began to flow through the speakers of the machine. The three of them smiled as Carolyn focused the sonogram to show them their child. "There's the baby." She smiled as she turned the screen towards her son and his girlfriend. "Do you want to know what it is? Because I'm pretty sure I already know." She smirked. "I may not be able to keep it a secret for the next few months." She told them.

"Well then I guess you better tell us!?" Derek wasn't sure if it was a statement to his mother or a question to Meredith but it seemed to sound like a bit of both.

"Yes, tell us." Meredith confirmed.

She altered the position slightly so she could get a clear view to show them. "Well I hate to break it to you Derek but you're going to be surrounded by more estrogen. It's a girl." She said with a smile.

"A girl?" Derek asked his mother who nodded at her son. "That's amazing. We're going to have a girl. A baby girl that will look just like you." He smiled brightly at Meredith as he grasped her into a hug before pulling back and putting one hand on her belly as he looked at the screen again and whispered, "A baby girl."

Derek looked over at Meredith, registering that something was a little off with her. "Meredith are you alright?" He asked.

"Ya, it's just when I first got pregnant I had a dream of a little boy who looked just like you and I was positive it would be a boy, but now your mom is saying it's a girl. I guess I'm just surprised is all." Meredith explained as she took his hand in hers. "But a girl will be great, just as long as she's healthy. That is all that matters." She smiled at both Derek and Carolyn before directing a question to Derek's mom. "She is healthy right?"

"Well, we hear her heartbeat so that is good. Sounds strong just like her parents." She winked at the two teens before glancing back to the screen. "She looks to be developing along nicely and..." Carolyn's words stopped flowing as she began to type more feverishly.

"What is it?" Derek and Meredith asked, almost in unison.

"I'm not quite sure. I might have done something wrong. This machine... I've only used it twice." She explained. "Let me go get the doctor so he can come and check it out for me. I'll be right back." Carolyn said quickly before rushing out the door to get the doctor.

"Derek, please don't let anything be wrong with the baby." She panicked as she grasped for him, griping him tightly with one arm as she place the other protectively over her belly.

"I won't let anything happen to her." Derek said as he squeezed her with the opposite hand and covered the hand on her belly with his free hand as they both protected the baby as they waited to find out if anything was wrong with the baby or the pregnancy.