20.

Derek curled up into bed next to Meredith. "Do you think we can have some less complicated days in the future?" Derek asked as he wrapped his arms around her waist, his hands settling on her stomach.

"I sure hope so." She whispered. "You have no idea what I went through with Lexie before you got here."

"And I'm so glad I wasn't here for that, what I was here for was enough." Derek said as the thoughts of today rolled back through his head.

"Honey I'm home." Derek said as he opened the door to the apartment. "Hey Lex." He said as he walked over and gave Meredith's sister a hug. "How you feeling hun?" Derek asked. As if on cue the tears flooded from Lexie's eyes as she began to cry all over again. Meredith gave him a look as if to say 'why did you have to ask?' Derek mouthed the word 'sorry' to Meredith as he took off his coat and hung it in the hall closet.

"Listen, I know you don't want to hear this, but I'm pretty sure this is all a misunderstanding." Derek said.

Lexie's head shot up, the tears streaming down her face, her eyes red and swollen. "A misunderstanding? You're taking his.... his... side?" She asked as she had to pause and catch her breath.

"No." Derek said as he quickly moved beside Lexie. "Not taking his side. It's just that I saw Addison after I left Mark's, and well... she didn't know I talked to Mark and she started to cry as she confided in me some stuff she was going through. I gave her a hug, and had Meredith walked in she might have thought the same thing you did when you walked in on Mark. It's not my business to say what it was that she said, but when you thought she was all over him, she was just hugging him as she cried." Derek explained as he put his hand on her leg trying to reassure her. "Look, my shirt is still wet." He said showing her a few tear stains on his shirt.

"You're saying he didn't cheat on me?" Lexie asked. "That I broke up with him for no reason?"

"I'm saying maybe you should go over there and talk things out. He doesn't think you broke up with him, but he does want you to know he loves you." Derek said. Lexie looked over to her big sister as if asking her what she should do.

Meredith nodded. "Give him a chance to talk to you. You don't need to be this upset for no reason. If you still decide that you guys aren't getting back together, you are more than welcome to come back and I'll take care of you. Promise." Meredith reassured her sister.

"Okay." Lexie said as she wiped her tears on the back of her hand.

"I'm just glad that you figured it all out. But I am a little jealous that some other woman was holding onto you." Meredith whispered. Derek instinctively held onto her tighter.

"Don't worry. You have nothing to be jealous of. You are the only woman I will ever want in my arms." Derek told her as he kissed her hair. "Even if you weren't with me, I'd still never be with anyone else."

"Seriously?" Meredith asked.

"Seriously." He told her honestly. "You and peanut are the only people that matter to me. Well my family, Mark, Lexie and your family, they all matter, but you know what I mean. I'd die if it meant that the two of you were alright."

"Don't talk like that. No one is dying here. Not if I have anything to say about it." She told him. "I had enough of that kind of talk when my mother came to visit. I don't need to talk like that now."

"I know honey. I'm sorry. And I'm sorry I wasn't here to handle her myself." Derek said as Meredith rotated in his arms so that she was staring at him. "I want her to know I'm serious about taking care of the two of you. It may not be the type of life she wanted you to have but we're getting by aren't we?" He asked.

"Right here is the only place I want to be." She said as she smiled and kissed his lips. Derek moaned against her before kissing her with a little more force and a little more passion. They kissed until they became breathless, interlocked in the arms of the other. "I love you." She said as she pulled away to take a breath.

"I love you too. Both of you." He replied, as he kissed her softly once more before drifting asleep in the warm embrace of the woman he loved, and never wanted to live without.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•
So I so this today and I have a question for you:

Which characters you think they'll be back? And which characters you actually want to return to the show?

I'll forever hope for Derek to come back to life I know it's not gonna happen but whatever I can keep dreaming!
My bet will be Addison maybe or
Arizona with Callie maybe?
Maybe it's no one we know?! IDK 🤷🏻‍♀️
•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•