chapter 77: City of Angels pt. 1

Start from the beginning

Violet added, "And we both recruited two Cheerios that were willing to fill for us just so we could get to 12 members. Everyone knows the choreo and the harmonies are solid. Oh! And Burt and Carol should be here soon. I made sure to call them–"

"You both don't need to prove yourselves to me," Mr. Schue cut her off. "Finn transformed this club when he joined up. He wasn't just a male lead, he was the captain of the football team. He was the coolest kid in school. I mean, a real dude, you know? He was our secret weapon at those competitions."

Violet furrowed her eyebrows, "Where are you going with this exactly?"

Mr. Schue continued, "Other schools might have had their version of a Rachel or a Kurt, but no one had a Finn."

Sam looked down, "Yeah, he... he made it seem pretty cool."

The teacher stared at the blonde boy, "When he recruited you, he wasn't just looking for another voice in here. He was looking for someone to take his place after he graduated. Someone to help lead all of these wonderful misfits."

"I'm not Finn, Mr. Schue," Sam glanced over at Violet, slightly panicked. "Finn was, like, a real leader, you know? L-Like Violet."

Violet took his hand, "And you."

"The reason why I brought both of you in here is because I'm gonna need both of you to be my people when we get to L.A."

Sam shook his head, "Look, you don't need me if you already have Vi. She's been doing a great job by herself."

Mr. Schue explained, "Honestly, if this were any other competition, I might see that, but after the year we've had, and with this competition, I'll need both of you."

Violet agreed, "Look, I'll probably be too worried about the arrangements and the choreography, and trying to manage Natasha and maybe even Annie trying to psych me out. I need all of the help I can get."

Mr. Schue continued, "The kids want you to be that guy. They're all waiting for you to see yourself the way they see you. The new kids love you, and so do the older ones. I'm sure that everything is gonna be fine once we get there. But if the time comes, and you need to step up, I'm gonna be counting on you to get it done."

Tina then peaked her head into the office, "They're here."

The three of them nodded at her before getting up and entering the choir room's anxious, yet excited air. When Burt and Carol walked through the doors, Violet instantly gave them both a hug.

When she gave Carol an embrace, she whispered, "Are you sure you're okay?"

Carol broke the hug and gave her a small smile, "I'll be fine, sweetie. I'm just excited to watch you perform."

Violet sighed and gave her an uneasy smile. It was the first time Carol was going to really be doing anything with the Glee Club since Finn's death. The New Directions was a giant part of who Finn was, so Violet could only imagine how hard it might be to be here. She debated even asking them to come, but she knew that after hearing their performance, Burt and Carol would get some form of closure that they needed.

Burt looked at her and rubbed her arm reassuringly, "Don't worry about us. You have something else to focus on." He looked beyond her and towards the rest of the group, "Actually before we head out, we thought we could say some things."

The New Directions all took a seat with their pieces of luggage in hand as they stared at Burt and Carol. Burt started, "We just wanted to come in and say that, uh, Finn really cared about you guys. More than you know."

"Finn always said that winning Nationals was the greatest accomplishment of his life. But I honestly believe that coaching you guys to winning would have meant even more to him," Carol continued.