T W E N T Y - O N E

Song : Cinnamon - James McMorrow
February 2nd 2017
Narrators POV

That was the last thing she heard before the line went dead. What did this mean for them? Her brain was scattered she had no idea where they stood, but at least she was sure of one thing.

He did still love her.

Headlights beam from behind her, a car was rolling up on her as she stood in the street. It was Dallas, it had to be. The passenger window rolled down allowing her to confirm she was right, he was using one of the cars that never left the garage.

A car she could only assume was his. "Z it's freezing, we don't have to talk about it; not if you don't want to, but you need to get inside." He could see that she was uncomfortable with him knowing her secret, he also knew Iyah just wanted to help.

She just went about it the wrong way, it was something she was bad about.

Z opened the door and got inside the warm car, she tried to discreetly wipe away her tears. It only took one look at her, he could see all the pain she was in, and he hated seeing her like that.

It was the same way he saw her the night she left, he preferred to see her smiling, joking around, even annoying him. At least when she was comfortable enough to annoy him he knew she was happy.

He cleared his throat breaking the stiff silence. He pulled up to the front of one of the garages and put his car in park. "One time, when I was fourteen, Iyah she... she caught me smoking in my room." He looked over at Z pausing, she was just staring out the window, probably concentrating on her breathing like she always did when she was upset.

"I didn't even get the chance to exhale before she ran to tell my Dad and Aria." He stopped at the sound of Z's slight laugh.

He had to take a second to laugh to himself, looking back on it, it was dumb and hilarious now. "That night I felt like the biggest piece of shit, and I was ready to storm up to her room, to yell at her for ruining my life. I just couldn't understand why she'd snitch like that." He looked back at Z, she was now giving him all her attention. She was invested in his story, trying to figure out what exactly it had to do with her or them right now.

She pulled her knees to her chest as she sat in the passenger seat, listening.

"I didn't get the chance, she came to my room, crying to me. You know, I don't care how blind with rage I am, I don't care what's going on; if one of my sisters come to me crying... I comfort them. I'd destroy whatever it was that'd hurt them enough to make them cry. I pulled her in my arms, and I started asking her. 'What is it? What's making you cry? Talk to me.' She looked me in my eyes and choked out, 'you're gonna die, please don't die, Anthony, please don't hate me I just don't want you to die, I had to save you' that's when I realized. She wasn't trying to get me in trouble, she was trying to help me. That's all she was trying to do with you Z, she just goes about it the wrong way, but her intentions are solid." He finished turning his head to see her starring down at her feet as she hugged her knees.

She sniffled and began to nod, Iyah was only part of the reason she was upset, but he didn't know that, not yet.

His effort in trying to cheer her up was enough to make her realize she could trust him. It was just what she needed at that moment. "I know that I can see that and I can't be mad at her, Dallas I'm not." He tilted his head a bit, becoming more confused, because if that wasn't it then what was it?

"Are you upset because of me?" His voice, she could hear the hurt in his voice asking the question he was afraid to get the answer to. He was afraid he overstepped.