S E V E N T E E N

Song : Grace Abrams - Minor
December 31st 2016
Narrators POV

"I know it's not the same as your room back in Jersey, it's just a blank canvas for now. I'll take you shopping and we can turn it into whatever you'd like." The room is the least of Z's concerns, she loved the room how could she not? Its bigger than her old room, it's a little bare with there only being a bed, a dresser, and a tv mounted to the wall in front of her bed but as her mom just said that can change over time.

What was running rapid in her mind was weather she should ask about the elephant in the room. Every part of her wants to, but what would it do? It wouldn't change anything, it'd just explain it.

She gives her mom a slight nod and walks to her suitcase picking it up, bringing it to the bed. She might as well go ahead and begin to unpack. As she unzips her suit cases she hears the door clothes, she first assumes her mom left the room, but that's clearly not the case when she turns her head, looking over her shoulder to see that her mom is standing next to the door.

She brings her attention back to her suitcase focusing on unpacking.

"Z you deserve to know everything, about me leaving, your dad and I-"

"Mom I think I have enough context clues to piece the story together." She doesn't want to sit through the story of how her mom left her to raise her other daughter, who would? "I don't want you to put the little pieces that you do have in the wrong places and paint the wrong picture, because I know that's exactly what you're doing right now." She steps closer to her daughter, but Z just continues to focus on unpacking ignoring her presence acting as though she's fine with the picture she's painted for herself.

"I don't have enough pieces to paint anything. It's just clear what it is, you had another kid and you chose to raise her, and left me with dad and it's fine. I love dad he has his moments but I had a good life-"

"Zhavia no that's not it..."

"Is it not? Because that's exactly what happened and I'm not mad at you so everything's all well we can move on." Her mom reaches for her hand stopping her, making her look at her instead of the suitcase that she was unpacking. "But that's not how it happened, at all." She takes a seat on the the bed and stares at Zhavia, she's waiting for her to sit down beside her, waiting for her to imply that she wants to listen.

Lucky for her that's exactly what Z does, because after everything maybe it is important that she finally learns everything. Maybe then they'll be able to move forward and stop looking back, but that's only a maybe.

Her mom sighs in relief once she takes a seat beside her, here goes nothing, her mother thought.

"Your dad, he's a great man and I want to start with that, I don't want you thinking ill of him at all. Even with what you guys are going through right now and with what has been happening recently, he loves you and he loved me..."

__

*FLASHBACK*
Thirteen years ago...

Zharia was only eighteen when she had her first child, a beautiful baby girl named Zhavia. She loved her babygirl with everything in her. She loved her more than she loved life itself, and she loved Zhavia's father.

Yet that wasn't always enough to keep things together...

Z was two at the time when she got meningitis, but it's not like she'd be able to tell you that, because she can't remember. The night was cold, as it usually is in Septembers in Denver.