F I F T E E N

Song : Promises - The Boxer Rebellion

It's freezing, I practically shake as I hop into Ethan's truck, the temperature has definitely dropped outside. I sit back in the passenger seat and begin to get comfortable, Ethan leans over me closing the door for me. His truck is already warmed up, my cheeks and hands begin to tingle almost as though they're being defrosted.

Slowly, he pulls away from the door coming to a soft halt staring at my lips, almost like a magnet slowly attracting, he leans in to kiss me. The feeling of his lips are like being engulfed in a warm blanket, safe and secure.

Just as I feel like this could last forever, he pulls away leaving me disappointed and only craving more.

"You're freezing.." He quickly takes off his jacket before tossing it over my shoulders warming me up.

I slip each arm through the designated hole getting comfortable. "Thank you E for remembering to come back for me, for staying awake..." He reaches for me caressing my cheek, his thumbs swipes against my cold tear stained cheek. He can feel just how damp my cheeks are, he's examining me. Trying to figure out what happened without having to ask me.

"I couldn't go to sleep even if I wanted to. My parents told me your dad wants to press charges.." I reach for his wrist, pulling it down from my cheek, I focus on it, tracing the lines on his palms with the tip of my finger.

"He wanted to. I convinced him otherwise." My shoulders shrug and my head stays down. I'm afraid that if I stop focusing on something even if it's as simple as his hand I'll go back to crying. I don't want to waste this time. "Then what happened in there Z? Because I can tell you've been crying, I can hear it in your voice. I can feel the tears on your cheek.. What'd he say to you?" His eyes dart back and forth staring into mine almost as though he's searching for an answer.

I swallow the lump that builds in my throat thickly. Stopping myself from breaking down I take a breath, holding it before I speak.

"My dad gave me an ultimatum. Instead of pressing charges he wants to move us away, or to make you guys move away by getting a restraining order." His brows suddenly lower, the same worry I had on my face earlier is now on his. I hate that, I hate that he is feeling even a fraction of what I was feeling.

He shakes his head side to side speaking up. "He can't do that- he can't make us move away- or you."

"Ethan he can and he's going to this is beyond you or me." The leather seat presses against the side of my face, I lean against it facing him.

"You have to talk to him Z get him to change his mind." He shakes his head yet again, that's easy for him to say.

"Ethan..."

"I'll come back in the morning and talk to him..." He's determined, I can hear it in his voice. The last thing he's going to do is accept this.

I wish I could be more like him, but if I'm being honest I don't think I have it in me to keep dealing with this, to keep dealing with the drama.

"I'm not going to push him. It's already a good thing that he's not pressing charges against Grayson." I don't want to fight with my dad, not anymore. He's looking at me as though that's not what he was expecting me to say. Then again I'm also shocked at the way I'm just... taking this...

"You're just gonna accept it? You're not even going to try and fight it?" His eyes widen, he's offended, he's hurt that I'm choosing not to fight.

"I don't have any fight left!" Before continuing I take a brief pause thinking of a way to word what I need to say next. It's clear I need to be careful how I word things right now.