T W E N T Y

Song : Ghosts - James McMorrow
February 2nd 2017
Narrators POV

"Well for starters she's pregnant." She no longer had to worry about answering, Iyah did it for her.

Her stomach flipped, she was in pure horror. She and Dallas both turned theirs heads to the left, facing their younger sister in disbelief, both for different reasons.

For some reason, Z felt she couldn't trust Iyah, but that didn't matter because she thought Iyah would at least keep this one thing to herself. She confided in her after not telling anyone, she thought that meant something. It meant something to her. Maybe she was dumb for feeling like Iyah could carry this, keeping it to herself.

She sure looked dumb.

Dallas however didn't believe her, how could he? He was taken back, he truly assumed Iyah was joking. She had to be, Z was smarter than that, he thought.

"What?" He croaked in disbelief; the tone of his voice, the slight smile on his lips, the twist of confusion on his face all implied he didn't believe Iyah.

Z stood there, the back of her head faced her bed where Dallas had made himself comfortable. She faced the door giving Iyah a pleading look that Dallas was unable to see. "Iyah..." She knew the only thing she could do was stand there and hope that Iyah would blow it off as a joke.

That was the last thing Iyah had planned.

She closed Z's room door softly behind her. All she wants is to help Z, she knows there is virtually nothing she could do at twelve years old to help Z.

Not to help her, but Dallas could, he would and Iyah knew that. He could take her to doctor's appointments and get her the medication she needs.

It'd be a chance for all of them to come together, as a family.

She knew Z wouldn't see it like that, not at the moment that she was telling Dallas. "You are, we can trust him. He can help you." Her voice was small And cautiously spoken, she was almost asking forgiveness with her voice. Iyah felt she could tell him everything.

It's what she always did, it's what she was doing.

"You aren't being serious, right Iyah?" Z spun around to give her attention to Dallas's voice.

She shook her head, "She's just joking." The words left her mouth quicker than she could think of them.

Iyah gave her a disappointing look. She hated that Z was afraid of Dallas knowing the truth. She shook her head to herself. She went straight for Z's nightstand.

By the time Z realized what she was doing it was too late to stop her. Iyah quickly tossed the test to Dallas.

Z felt like passing out, this was nothing short of embarrassing for her.

This was real Dallas thought, it was truly that last thing he expected to come back home and find out. The smile on his face turned to realization, then sympathy as he starred at the test in his hand.

That look is exactly what Z wanted to avoid at all cost, she hated when people looked at her with pity, sympathy, she didn't want anyone feeling bad for her; she didn't need anyone feeling bad for her.