Chapter 39

December ninth. It was a bright day with clear sky and shining sun. But don't be cheated by your eyes. The temperature dropped below zero at dawn. Put on your coat and get some hot drinks for breakfast.

Yeji felt better today. She added a sweater over the winter uniform and put on the coat. She went to school and like yesterday, rested her head on the desk.

The feelings bottled up in her mind grew and slowly went out of control. She squeezed lots of feelings into her heart and made it very dense.

If Yeji wanted her mom to change her mind or support her, she had to tell her more. Tell her that how exactly she felt when it comes to dance.

But that was a weakness of Yeji. Inside her heart, it was like a canvas splashed with oil paints in many colours. But the picture those colours wanted to form was still vague.

She tried to make a breakthrough, but every time she lifted her head from the desk, the gravity pulled it down again.

Chaeryeong came to her seat a few times in the morning. Yeji knew if she said she is fine, it only made her feel bad. And Yeji actually didn't need to lie to her.

The last class before lunch ended and Chae came to check on her. She slept through the class.

"Yuna texted us~she said we can come down now" Chae said.
"Oh yeah, her birthday" Yeji moved the chair backwards and stood up slowly. She walked behind Chae and took the elevator down to second floor.

Yeji opened the sliding door and saw Yuna among her friends. She noticed them two and waved gleefully. The lights in the classroom had been turned off.

"Happy birthday~~"
"Happy birthday"
Yuna beamed like a sun in this morning.

"Here, last two candles for you two" she placed a candle on Yeji's hands and the other candle on Chae's hands. It was small compared with the palm, thinner than a pencil and shorter than a finger.

They put it on the strawberry cakes and lighted them up. Tiny fire danced warmly on candles. Yuna made three wishes and was about to blow out candles.

"Wait a minute" she paused and took off the beanie. The blonde hair was tied up and was hidden in the beanie. She wore it down and let the long hair fell over her shoulders.

"Woooo" her friends was so surprised.

Yuna blew out the candles and the lights in the classroom came back. Her blonde hair gleamed under the light, like the first rays after rain.

They enjoyed the cake and Yuna smiled at Yeji.
"Look~we have same blonde hair now"
She showed the picture Ryujin sent her. A selfie of Ryujin in blonde short hair and a cake.

"Because of this, I was grounded" Yuna pointed at her hair. She grinned from ear to ear.
"Thanks Yeji" she gave her a warm hug.

Even though it must be raining in Yeji's heart now, with the happiness and warmth that Yuna had, it still made her feel better.

/

After school, Yeji went back to old town. She tried to tell herself that everything was gonna be okay. But when she climbed over the wall, she slipped and almost fell to the ground.

"I'm home" Yeji said and turned on the lights in the living room. It was on most of the time.

Lia wasn't there. Yeji thought she may not be outside, so she walked upstairs to the bedroom. She slowly opened the door and found Lia at the desk.