Chapter 1

The city was about the size of Seoul. A clear river flew in the city. When it was sunny day, its surface gleamed and reflected the colours of the sky. Greenery grew along the river.

    The north of the city touched the sea. It had a long coastline, wide spread of sand and harbours. People could go to the beach every day and enjoy the alcohol drink and food on the shore.

    It had a long history compared with rest of the city. It was developed earlier and the streets looked slightly old and were smaller.

    The south, on the other hand, was half built on hills. The river came from the hills and flew into the sea. In the winter time, the wind coming from the south was strong and chilly.

    It was developed into a modern place. They had subway lines, airport and more train stations than the north. Towering buildings could be seen along the streets and most of the bridges across the river was built in south.

If you were tired of the concrete jungles, you could go for a drive at the beach. And if you looked for something green, you could visit the hills and took a stroll there.

    People kept living like this until the gov started considering to build a wall between the north and the south.

    They found the crimes rate in the north was rising in a short time. At night, the armed police had to patrol on the streets per hour. The jail was full of prisoners from young to old. The trade of guns was popular year by year.

    The poor people moved from the south to the north. They couldn't afford the daily expenses in the south. The migrants chose the north as well. They could buy a house in a lower price there.

They focused on the south for a long time and kinda forgot the people in the north. The gap between two sides had formed and the history of the north sank slowly into the sea.

    In the end, gov announced the plan. They were gonna build a five meters high wall that cut all the connections with the north. By the time the wall was done, the north would be like an island.

    Since the day they started the plan, the north was drawn into chaos. Every day there were riots and demonstrations on the streets. The cars were burned and the gov buildings were broken in.

    The streets were filled with tear gases and people had countless battles with the police. They threw patrol bombs at the police. The shops and schools were all closed.

    At night, you couldn't even get a sleep. Sounds of guns kept you awake and sirens of police cars would wake you up.

    But the gov continued its plan by any means. They sent armed soldiers to control the situation at the border. They arrested the people that were too close to them.

They let the army trucks run on the streets in the north. Soldiers kept arresting the rebels. The rage of people was suppressed by the force.

    By the end of the spring, the long wall was set up. The city was split in two parts. The north was called Old Town and the south turned into New Town.

/