XXVIII.

hello everyone. sooooo it's been a while to say the least. i'm going to be completely honest when i say that i had no intentions of ever adding to this story again for multiple reasons. one is that life is busy and i'm an adult now (gross) so i simply never had time. another is that although i still love bts, i am not as involved as i once was. i also thought that this story wasn't worth writing anymore considering i have not updated in two years and i just figured it wouldn't do anything.

however, something just came to me to log on again. i read through it in its entirety, and i decided that i wanted to try for myself and for whoever will still read it. i was shocked, to say the least, when i came back to see over 90k reads. re-reading everyone's comments and my past writing made me laugh and remember how much fun i had when i was writing this story. that being said, i can't promise that i will continue after this chapter, but maybe it will spark something in me to continue doing something i used to enjoy very much. for those who have wanted more to this story, for those who forgot about this story, and for those who just started reading this story, i thank you for the love for The Butterfly Effect. 

it is not the most interesting chapter, but i didn't leave much for myself to work off of. please bare with me on any differences in my writing, plot holes, or inconsistencies; it's been a while.

-----------------------------------------------

I am aware of my senses, but I am completely and utterly frozen in place. I can smell the aging carpet of the apartment hallway beneath my feet. I can hear the quiet rusting of other people and my neighbors in the complex. I can taste the dryness of my tongue as if I haven't had a sip of water in days. I can see my smiling eyes peering into Jimin's presence on the photograph in my hands. It's almost as if I am looking at the ghosts of us. I feel cold. The chills of an unadulterated haunting in my hands, and a feeling that there is nothing, nobody, that can protect me from this.

They know where I live.

It is as if all time has stopped for me, but the world is continuing to progress and move around me. There is nothing more detrimental to my immediate safety than what is placed between my two hands at this moment. They were watching me before I even knew about the mission. They knew that I would be at their club before I knew I would be at their club. But how? Why?

Why was I the one being watched? How did they know that I know what lurks beyond the enticing streets of this city? It must have been a given considering I sure have been spending a lot of time with Bangtan. All of them. For all I know, they could have been following me since I found the Three fucking Stooges taking someone out of existence at a college party. There is still no reason that I would be the one they follow and not the others.

Leverage? Ransom? Curiosity? None of it would make sense. It seems as if they are much more clever than we know if they seemingly just let me go. If they wanted me dead, I would be. They knew who I was as soon as I walked through those doors, and I would be a fool if they didn't revel in the fact that a mouse like me took the cheese right off the trap. 

We must look like complete fucking fools.

My apartment door in front of me opens suddenly, making every inch of my being jump ten stories high and breaking the almost catatonic state I was in. Dark, tired eyes with a budding bruise right below one of them reach my view, but the thumping of my heart beats in my ears from the sudden shock. Jungkook seems to have the same reaction despite his facial expression never changing. 

"What are you doing here?" He asks, placing the hand that wasn't holding a duffle bag on his chest as if to calm his own pulse.

"What am I doing here? What are you doing here? It's my apartment, shit," I gasp out before taking an unconscious look down the hallway and pushing him back inside. He stumbles a bit before I quickly turn around to close and lock the door. I turn around to face him in panic, "How long have you been here?"