12

Here we are again, aren't we :)

Alexa play Insomnia by Straykids.

—————

Getting to the shore was a blur for Jisung.

When he woke up, hours later, laid on the tower bed and curled up, bandages on his leg and arm, he could only recall sand, screams, sirens and Felix's voice.

What was he even doing on the North end?

He groaned, moving around and trying to sit up.

"You're awake.", he snapped his head towards the unknown raspy voice, seeing the first paramedic he had seen in the morning smile at him from the door. "How are you feeling?"

"My head hurts."

"Fair enough, I'll get you pills in a second, I need to change your bandages."

Jisung nodded and let himself be laid down again.

"And I not supposed to do that?"

The man's nodded, chuckling.

"While you're at work, I'm the assigned doctor. Even though my job is to be on the ambulance and take people from the center tower only, I still help around.", he started taking the bandages off, showing a cut that went all the way down to his foot. "It's not deep, it's more of a scratch than anything else, but it won't hurt you much unless you get in the water these next few days. What happened to your head? I wasn't here."

"Oh, I was stupid. Didn't follow orders and got caught in the impact zone like a 5 year old."

The man's chuckled.

"I see. I'm Changbin, by the way, we'll be seeing each other a lot, my college is Seungmin, he's always around as well, currently treating an actual 5 year old downstairs."

"Jisung.", he gulped. "The little girl?"

Changbin slowed down a bit, biting his lip.

"Hospital, she swallowed a lot of water, and had a concussion. We don't know yet if she'll be okay."

Jisung closed his eyes and let his chest slowly go up and down.

He couldn't fail, not again.

"W-will we be able to know?"

Changbin sighed and pulled a bench, sitting next to his torso and taking his arm, inspecting the arm bandages.

"The thing about life guarding and being a paramedic is, as soon as the patient passes the hospital doors, we have no right to know about them anymore. Sometimes they tell us, I've seen a lot of people coming back to the beach here and showing up to thank pr at least give news, but most don't think about it.", he patted the arm, laying it down and smiling softly at the squirrel like boy. "Don't overthink it, you did amazing, if you hadn't went in at that time she would not have made it, not even to the shore."

"She might not thou-"

"That is not on you. It's not on any of us.", he sighed. "I know this is hard, I'm probably your age and I've seen a lot of people already going through this process during my two work years, it's scary, but you are not to blame for anything that happens."

Jisung let the older's words sink in, nodding slowly.

"Alright, I'll try and remember that. Thank you."

"No worries." His watch gave him a reminder and the ambulance was heard outside. "Shit, I have to go, make sure to get up slowly, you're too drained, okay?"