18 | hero

Warmth.

A washcloth runs against my cheeks. It's so warm that goosebumps rise on my arms. My body is still freezing from the lake. My clothes are still damp as I sit down on the cold tiles. The rag slowly moves to my forehead, patting gently around my eyes.

I can smell her perfume.

Why is she doing this? I don't deserve this.

I open my eyes gradually, locking them with those familiar royal blues. She stops wiping my face and brings the rag to her lap. Neither of us says a word. Her eyes look at my wet clothes before standing up.

She moves to the shower and plays with the knobs until it starts to come on. Steam quickly fills the air. "You need to get out of those clothes before you get sick." Her voice is so close, but she still feels so far away.

My body can't move.

"How is she?"

She reaches her hand out for me to take. I'm hesitant at first but quickly oblige. My arms raise as she slowly takes off my wet shirt, leaving me standing in front of her in only my jeans. Her eyes move down my chest to my belt buckle.

"She's alive, because of you."

I swallow hard, not taking my eyes off hers. "She almost died, because of me."

"But, she didn't."

"How can you forgive me for something like this?"

The steam clouds our vision. "I didn't say I forgive you. You need to take a shower."

The only thing that centers between us is the fog. I'm barely able to make her out. She steps closer to me so I can see her clearly. "Please," her voice is almost a whisper. "She's asking for you. Freshen up."

"Stella-

Her face falls when she notices the tears building between my eyes. She swallows hard. "It was an accident, Reign."

Before I know it, she is gone. I'm left with agonizing pain. My chest tightens, making me take a deep breath to calm my racing heart. My jeans slowly hit the floor with my boxers before I step into the shower.

The hot water washes away all my sorrow. All the hatred I have on myself right now. I press my palms into the tile as I let the water run down my neck and back. My eyes are now blurry. I shut them hard as I listen to the stream.

It was an accident

She's right. But, this accident almost costed her entire life. Her life was almost taken away, because of me. I should have never left her side. I'm so stupid.

I wrap the thick plush towel against my waist and head into my room. Stella is standing there with her arms crossed against her chest. She looks up when she hears my door open. "Feel better?"

My head tilts in the other direction, shaking it slowly. "No."

She nods, turning around. I stand there for a few seconds with a weird look on my face. "What are you doing?"

"You need to get dressed."

I don't say anything else. A dark t-shirt is thrown on with black sweatpants. I run my fingers through my hair and tell Stella I'm ready. She turns around slightly. "Let's go."

I follow her out of the room and into the bedroom she and Anny are staying in. When we step inside, I spot her laying on the bed, wrapped in two throw blankets. She smiles when she sees me.

"Hey!"

Her little voice makes me smile at her. She snuggles closer against the blanket around her neck. Stella looks my way. "I'll let you two speak," she says softly before looking back at Anny. "Love you."

When she steps out and leaves a crack in the door before closing, I kneel beside her. My arms rest on the bed. "How are you?"

"Mom told me what happened."

My head falls as I rub the back of my neck. There are no words to express how sorry I am. "She's not very happy with me either."

"I think she is."

I look up from staring at my hands. "If I was her, I wouldn't be able to even look at me."

"She said it was an accident."

"It was, but accidents happen every day. This was a mistake. I shouldn't have left you, Anny. I'm so sorry."

"I wanted to swim with the fishies," her voice is soft. "You didn't make me jump."

I rest my elbows on the bed. She places the palm of her hand on top of mine. A crooked smile takes over her face. "Mom said you saved my life. It's like you're my hero!" She exclaims. "Hey, that can be your nickname."

I squeeze her hand softly. "Hero?" A deep chuckle leaves my mouth.

She shakes her head, scrunching up her nose. "No, that doesn't sound good."

"You'll think of one, buttercup."

She giggles as her eyes start to get heavy. "I'm tired."

"I'll let you sleep," I lean up from the bed and kiss the top of her strawberry hair. "See you later."

"Bye." She barely makes out as she falls into a deep sleep. I adjust the blankets on top of her and start to leave the room. Stella steps into the hall and meets me halfway.

"The doctor said she's going to be fine. If you didn't get her out of the lake when you did," she trails off, keeping her arms tightly against her chest. "She wouldn't have made it."

My eyes widen. The thought of her dying stings the pit of my stomach. "So, I really did save her?"

She huffs, stepping closer to me. I start to part my lips but she quickly stops me. Her hand brushes the five o'clock shadow on my jaw. The warmth from her fingers is comforting along my cheekbones.

"Yes, Reign. You did."

"I, I failed you, Stella. I never meant for this to happen."

"I know," she swallows hard before shutting her eyes. A single tear runs down her cheek. "You didn't fail me. Anny thinks the world of you, which is odd because she doesn't like anyone," a low breath leaves her mouth, almost a laugh. She drops her hand from my face and I catch myself missing her touch. "You have plenty of time to make it up to me."

"So, we're okay?"

"Yes."

I wrap my arms around her tiny body, pressing her into my chest. Her head finds my neck, breathing in my cologne. I rest my chin on her shoulder. God. I never want to release her. I never want her to pull away from me.

"What are you doing when we get back to Rochester?"

It will be Sunday and I'd love nothing more than to spend time with her. She looks up from my neck. "Unpacking."

"After that?"

Her shoulders shrug as her body is still pressed against mine. "What did you have in mind?"

"Can I take you somewhere?"

"Just us two?"

I nod. "Is that okay?"

She smiles, biting her bottom lip. "That's fine with me."

• • •

Y'all, they are so cute I could cry.
Hope you liked this chapter. Don't forget to vote & comment ❤️❤️😘
I didn't really look over this chapter, so if you see any errors- let me know 😁