29 | abortion

S T E L L A

Of course, I trust him. Like I've told him before... I trust him more than anything. There was no question on taking his hand the minute he held it out for me to take. We told his parents goodbye before stepping out the back door, following him out into the backyard.

He doesn't tell me where we are going, instead, he lifts me over the gate and hastily follows after. The moon is the only light we have in the darkness full of crickets and light winds. I tighten my grip on his hand as we walk through the woods.

"Don't tell me you're scared." His voice creeps into the wind.

I huff lightly. "Maybe just a little. I've never liked the dark."

"Don't worry, you're with me."

I can't help but weep at his words. I'm always safe with him. It's something I never knew I needed. Protection. I know Reign would never hurt me. Some days it's surreal to even think about how lucky Anny and I are.

We stop abruptly near a small pond filled with lily pads. The moon is so bright that it lights up the water so delicately. I stare up at the black sky full of tiny white stars and a trail of clouds from a plane. It's so beautiful tonight.

"Wow," is all I manage to say. "You must come here a lot."

He nods eagerly once I gaze at him. "Used to. As a kid, I would come here and just listen to the crickets or stare up at the sky. It's my safe place."

I furrow my eyebrows. "Did you not feel safe when you were young?"

His shoulders shrug before letting go of my hand. He rests his back on the grass as his eyes stay sealed on the stars. "I love my parents, but growing up they would argue a lot. Mostly about the business or they would gripe about the Deans... I would slip out the back door and run out here."

I lay down beside him. The grass feels nice against my bare legs. "I'm sorry," I think about Reign as a little boy, sad and upset, leaving his home to escape for a moment. "Can I ask you something?"

He turns on his side to face me. My body shivers when his palm is placed on my thigh. "Of course."

"Where do you see yourself in five years?"

His palm moves closer to the hem of my skirt. I instantly take a sharper breath. He leans forward to whisper in my ear, "Somewhere with you."

He's determined to be with me. He could have said either working for his parents' company still or traveling the world to see The Grand Canyon for crying out loud... but he said with me.

Me.

"Why do you ask?" He licks his lips before squeezing my thigh. I can't help but listen to my body the way he touches me. I press myself into his erection which only makes him clench his jaw.

"I really thought you were going to say something else," a chuckle leaves my mouth. "I saw the poster behind your bathroom door."

Realization hits him. He laughs before rolling his eyes. "I made that in tenth grade. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. All I cared about were parties and drugs."