3 | party

"Reign? As in Reign Henderson?"

Her eyes dance around mine. This city knows us like the back of their hands. Which is why when she was familiar with my name, I didn't think twice about it.

"Guilty," I say, smiling at her.

"I think you maintained my Aunt's garden a while back?" She tilts her head. "Alice Jenkins?"

It takes me a minute for that name to ring a bell, but of course, I remember her. She was a nice lady who couldn't take care of her crops anymore. I stayed longer than I should have and she tried to pay me more, but I always refused.

So instead, she would give me freshly picked zucchini's even though I was highly allergic, but I didn't want to tell her.

"Yes, she would always give me some of her produce," my mouth turns into a smile. "How is she?"

The aisle starts to become even more packed than before which makes her a little uncomfortable. She pulls her daughter to her side with a frown following after. "Actually, she passed away last year."

"I'm so sorry to hear that."

Fuck, I shouldn't have said anything. This is what I get for talking to anyone.

"We should be going," her frown is taken over by a soft smile. "Have a lot of errands to run."

I gradually nod, holding onto the rail of the grocery cart. "Yeah, see you around maybe?"

"Maybe," Anny mumbles aggressively.

My eyes squint at hers before looking back up at Stella. Her strawberry locks are so long that it falls below her waist. The silkiness pulls me in, wanting to feel it between my fingers.

What a weird fucking thing to say.

"Bye."

I don't say anything back. I just watch as the two of them walk away, hand in hand, before heading down another aisle. My body feels frozen as people move past me, but yet I don't move a muscle.

Shit, I need to get out of here.

My brain constantly fights the urge to look over my shoulder as I check out in the express lane. Is she still here somewhere or has she already left?

Suddenly, I'm walking through the front door to our house with two bags in my hands. Chance is still on the couch with the trash can on his lap.

"What took you so long?" He projects, eyes barely open.

"Long story," I say, throwing the box of crackers his way. They fall right on his face which only pisses him off more. "Here you go."

"Ow!"

My eyes roll before setting the Sprite in the fridge. The fact that his ass hasn't moved since I've been gone just shows how much of a pussy he can be.

I broke my leg once. It was sophomore year in high school and football was my passion back then. During practice one of my teammates fell on top of me and dislocated my right femur.

My parents were too busy to take care of me at the time. They blamed it on the company, as usual, and I ended up handling everything myself.

Surgery sucked. I stayed in bed for about two weeks until I started using my crutches. My leg hurt so fucking much, but my mom at the time was stealing all the Hydrocodones, so there was nothing for me to take.

My feet walk back into the living room as I sit in the love seat across from him. "When the hell are you going to get off your ass?"

"When you fuck someone else other than my cousin!" He tries to hide his smile, but it doesn't work. "What's going on with you two?"

Cara.

I wish I fucking knew.

"She's a good person, C."

"But?" He questions.

A long sigh escapes my mouth. "But, that's all she is to me."

"Damn."

"Why do you care? You hate her."

He laughs hysterically. "I don't hate her, it's just my aunt that's a dumb bitch."

Cara has always told me how messed up her mom is. All I know is that she stole a lot of money from her sister, who happens to be Chance's mom. A lawsuit ended up following her and now she's in jail for theft.

"You can't hold that against Cara," my voice comes out calmly, almost feeling sorry for her. Which is true, I hate everything Cara has been through. "She's nothing like her mother."

He chews on another cracker before speaking. "She might not be a thief, but she's a whore like her."

"Fuck off, C. You're no better."

"I'm a guy." He says bluntly.

I sink back into the love seat, feeling the cold leather against my neck. "Enough with the double standard shit. I'm over it."

"I thought she meant nothing to you?"

My eyes stare up at the ceiling as I think long and hard about his question. Racing thoughts are always swimming around in my head. I fucking hate it.

"I care about her, don't you see that?"

I'm sure by now he is nodding while four more crackers get shoved in his mouth. "Is her and dick head over?"

Wren Connolly.

"He broke up with her."

"Again?"

I think about her crying in my arms as she tells me how he did it. In front of his friends while they were at a party. He loves to belittle her when there's an audience. But, this isn't his first time doing it.

"I'm sure she already went back to him."

I can hear him set the box of crackers on the floor as he stands up from the couch. Holy shit he is finally up on his feet and walking near the fridge.

"It's about time."

"Fuck you."

He pours the Sprite in a plastic cup before sitting on the barstool, within seconds he downs the entire drink. I can tell that something else is on his mind by the way he stares at me.

"What is it?"

"Preston's house warming party is tomorrow night."

"And?"

"And— we're going."

I draw my eyebrows together. "Since the fuck when?"

"Since I told him we were going."

My hand opens the drawer in front of me as I dig for the blunt I made earlier. Once I've found it, I light it up quickly and press the thick paper to my lips. The drag instantly calms me down, making me close my eyes.

"I can't believe that douchebag bought him a house."

Chance fans the smoke away from him. "You know he didn't buy it."

He has a point.

I nod. "Yeah, I'm sure grandpa's money comes in handy."

"When you're Preston Billings everything comes in handy."

• • •

Hiii. I didn't really know how to end this chapter, but the party is the next. It's good ❤️ stay tuned. And don't forget to vote. Love you all!!