16 | blue

S T E L L A

Anny was sleeping so peacefully as I watched her when I stepped inside our room. She was curled up under the thick weighted blanket, strawberry hair spread across the tan pillow. I smiled as I watched her. To know what she will always be mine. It's comforting.

Mine.

Lewis wants to meet her. The overwhelming thought has my heart race. They can't meet. I don't care what it takes. He's hurt me way too many times to count. I won't let him hurt her too.

I walk into the dark rustic bathroom and find my way to the shower. Every time I think of Lewis, I feel disgusting. It's like my body needs a fresh clean start. I just want to wash him away forever.

The hot water falls against my skin. Relief. I let it run down my face, washing away the hidden tears I have been holding in since I stepped back inside. Just when I think I'm doing fine, I completely fool myself.

Who am I kidding?

I'll never be okay.

The marks he used to leave on me have faded, but I still rub them with my thumb. I'll always remember how evil he was. When he would squeeze my neck, choking me till the last second before releasing his grip. He knew exactly when to stop.

The way his hands felt around my throat is indescribable. I catch myself rubbing my neck to soothe the pain. I'm doing it right now in the shower and I don't even know why. I hate the power he has over me.

I'm always thinking about our past. Even the days that led up to the worst time of my life. My father hated him and I hate myself. I'm the reason he died.

Reign and I have more in common than he knows.

I ended up snuggling to Anny after I freshened up. My anxiety has gone down and I'm able to breathe as this little girl next to me nuzzles her head into my chest. I wrap my arms around her before pecking the top of her head.

My eyes start to feel heavy and I fall into a much-needed sleep.

"Mommy," Anny's voice pulls me out of my dream. I dreamt about my dad. "Reign cooked us bacon."

A smile pressed against her little face. "You know how much I love bacon?"

"More than me?"

She giggles. "Never."

I laugh with her and poke the tip of her nose before sitting up in the bed. My eyes flicker across the room as I wake myself up. The sun shines through the dark blinds. I notice 10 a.m. on the clock beside me.

"How long have you been up?"

She shrugs. "I was hungry."

"Is your grandma awake?"

"Everyone is."

"I'm the only one?" My eyes widen. I hate being the last one to get up and now I'll be the center of attention when I go downstairs.

"Come on." She grabs my hand almost pulling me out from under the covers.

After I quickly brush my teeth and comb my hair, I follow Anny into the kitchen. She was right. Reign is standing in front of the counter, placing freshly cooked bacon on a plate. His messy hair falls against his forehead which tells me he hasn't been up long. It's rather cute.