The Execution: In The Rain

Začať od začiatku

Shaking my head, I said, "Its fine, I understand. Now where is that gift?" I laughed. Everyone's spirits lifted and I opened the box.

"The Marvel Encyclopedia?! This day just keeps getting better and better! Guys, thank you SO much! I love you all!"

"Don't flatter yourself, Schwimmer. It was nothing." Adrien shrugged.

Narrowing my eyes, I gave him a completely sisterly hug. Again, everyone else joined in.

"Cheer up, Mads! You're seventeen now!" Ariana yelled and the party started.

***

"Brie, you liar." I said as all of us ate the food from a nearby restaurant. Everyone was having a great time, even Anne who was comfortably seated next to Andrew. Adrien wasn't even hesitating in flirting with an older girl and Brie even said if he was a few years older, they could have dated. Joey was mostly focused on the food and Ariana was carefully stealing the cake.

Unconsciously, my eyes darted towards the door for the hundredth time in the past hour. I sighed.

Let it go, you know he isn't gonna come.

After everyone had eaten and were now just chatting, Joey approached me.

"The Lex guy not showing up really bothered you huh?" he said as I narrowed my eyes.

"Well, it bothered me. But of course, everyone else is here and I am grateful. My group is amazing, they know exactly what I want." I responded.

"Yeah, but you know, Lex still might show up."

"He won't." I sighed.

"Do you want him to come?" He asked. Of course I did. I nodded.

"Then he will."

I raised my eyebrows, "Thats a weird thing to say."

Joey shrugged, "hey, I'm just trying to be nice. He might not come, who knows?"

I hit Joey on his shoulder and he smiled sheepishly.

"Idiot." I mumbled.

"Thanks." he mumbled back.

***

It was getting pretty late, everyone was about to leave. Time had flown so fast, I wished they could have stayed for longer but all of us had school (college for Brie) tomorrow. Plus, it looked like it was about to rain so keeping them at our house for long won't be a good idea.

After goodbye's, thank you's and more hugs, the house was finally empty except for Ariana and me.

"This was amazing, thank you!" I said.

"It was team effort. We planned this together, bought the gift together. Actually, it was Lex's idea but you get it." she replied.

Lex's mention made me feel weird again. I had not seen him, or even talked to him the whole day! This was the first time this had happened ever since he had entered my life. Even during school holidays, we'd at least text each other. But today, on a big day? No texts, no phone calls, nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero. Was I mad at him for not being here, not paying attention to me? That sounded ridiculous to me too but unfortunately, I knew that was somewhat the truth. It wasn't his fault, I know! But for the first time, I felt like I needed to look at him. I didn't want to admit it, I was suffering without him, the gathering seemed incomplete.

Stop being so stupid, damnit!

"I'm going to the washroom- Ah, look! Its raining!" Ariana said and went to change her clothes and everything.

You're still in your waitress uniform.

I was thinking I better go and change it but before I could, I heard the doorbell ring. I stopped moving, only one thing crossed my head.

Could it be him?

It was almost eleven at night, there was no way he was showing up right now. That's what I told myself as I went to open the door.

Standing there, completely soaked in water and short of breath was Lex. He was wearing a navy blue and white, gorgeous tuxedo but his hair, as usual, was messy and this time, wet.

"Lex?" I babbled, "get in, you'll fall sick-" I said, ignoring the rush of similar emotions that I felt again.

"No, I have to get back before eleven. I came on my cycle, I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday." He spoke quickly and gasped again.

"Dude, thanks a ton but you better come inside, the rain is heavy. I'll make you a cup of hot coffee and you can catch your breath, okay?" I tried to convince him again. Something inside me just exploded when I realised that he had come, in the rain, on his bicycle, just to wish me a happy birthday. Knowing his family, if he was caught... That would be bad. He had risked so much-

"Anyway, I also had to give you something but first, did you like the encyclopedia?" he asked.

For a split second, I forgot how to speak. But controlling myself, I said, "Liked? I loved it, it was amazing! Thank you-"

"Yeah, I know," he interrupted me and fished something out from his pocket, "its wet now but I hope you like it too. I couldn't be here and I felt like I have to make up for it. "Giving me a small plastic bag he nodded excitedly.

"Lex, you don't have to make up for anything. I know your father-" I had to stop speaking when I had a look on what it was.

Lex had gifted me a beautiful necklace with black flower for a pendant. The black flower had shades of purple and violet and it was faintly glowing. I just had a look at Lex who seemed to be satisfied now and I was only able to utter the words, "its beautiful."

"Thanks. Now I better get going or you know." he said and turned around, entering the rain again.

"Lex?"

"Yeah?"

"You're... You're amazing. I had completely given up hope for you to come but look at you. You're a great friend. Thank you so much." I managed. I, for some reason, was barely able to speak. I had never felt this special before.

"No. Thank you, Madison. I've never really had friends before so I don't know how to deal with them. But hopefully, with time, I'll learn to be better. I feel like I'm at the top of the world whe the I'm with you and the others. I'm not...Now I really have to leave though. See you at school tomorrow. Bye, good night." He said. He looked at me gratefully one last time before getting on his bicycle and trailing off.

As if automatically, I rushed to my front lawn and stood there, in the rain, not exactly knowing what to do. All I knew was, Lex was something.

Watching him leave, I mumbled, "See you tomorrow too..."

And then I just tried to understand why I felt that weird sensation in my guts, why my cheeks felt hotter, why my palms were sweaty and my body was completely frozen. I didn't know what was happening to me, was I okay? Suddenly I had a scary thought. Did I... Was Lex my, uh...

No, I pushed aside the absurd thought. It couldn't be. I had to know him better to um, develop feelings for him, right? He couldn't possibly be...

What, your first crush?

Welcome back, conscience. How've ya been?

I don't know for how long I stood un-bothered that day, in the rain.

***

Damn okay! So things are getting heated up here. This is actually my first time writing pure teen romance so I hope this is going well. If not, don't forget to leave your suggestions in the comments. Also don't forget to vote and maybe share this story with your friends, it would mean the world to me! Bye for now, the next chapter is gonna be HUGE so I better start writing that!

-InfiniTAE 🖤