A King from Queens

Adrien

"Early to bed and early to rise is nothing compared to your alarm ringing twice." I complained as soon as I sat down to have breakfast.

My father looked at me and asked, "what are your plans for today? Its a Sunday so are you going somewhere with your friends?"

"Actually yes. I'm going to a friend's house... More like two friends' house. My entire fleet is meeting up there. We'll just be chilling."

"Alright but be home before six. We have to go to Mr. Beaustier's house warming party... " My father added, not looking too thrilled. I nodded.

"Don't worry, both of them have jobs. I'll be home at four. Dad! One of them works at your place, did you forget?"

"Ariana, was it? There have been so many girls in your life that I get confused. Ariana, then there's one named Madison, there was a Chloe once-"

I interrupted my father awkwardly, "Chloe and I were together in the fourth grade, give it a rest and let it go. Build a bridge and get over it."

My father just laughed and said, "it's okay, I'm kidding. Before I met your mother-"

"I don't need to hear it again, dad. I'm leaving now, good luck for work and make me rich!"

***

Riding my bike, I went to Midwood. Outside Ariana's place I saw another vehicle parked and it wasn't her scooter. Andrew was probably here already. I got off and rang the doorbell. Madison opened the door and grinned.

"Brooke! We were just talking about cats and you showed up. Nice timing."

"I'm not a cat." I said.

"So you say. You want everyone's attention but you won't give your attention to anyone else. That sounds like a cat to me." She shrugged.

"If I'm a cat, why don't you pet me?" I winked.

"Nah, I'm more of a dog person." She said and turned around. I followed her and sat on the couch, next to Andrew.

I had just shifted to Brooklyn about a month ago and had already gotten some of the best friends. All of these people were so different from each other, it fascinated me how compatible we were together. We had already become like a puzzle, all pieces of different shapes, but they come together to complete a picture.

My father had told me that he and my mother used to be school friends, and many of his school friends are still a huge part of his life, friends have a drastic impact on who you will become one day. That sounds like too much wisdom coming from me but I know all this because my father always said this in context to my late mother. My mother, Elizah Xavierette Brooke was an amazing person. She was responsible for keeping my extremely intuitive father in a line but after she passed away, my father automatically stayed under the line. I remember my mother always had to slap my father around, it was so funny to watch my superhero become second in command in front of her. The point is, she was a cool person. She passed away around eleven years ago of a cardiovascular disease. We missed her of course, but accepting and moving on is a part of life. Clinging on to your past will sabotage your present and ruin your future. Trust me, you don't want that.

I looked around the room. Andrew and Anne just being themselves and looking at each other with shy glances. These two liked one another, it was very obvious but of course, they couldn't see it in each other's eyes, despite noticing every other detail. I didn't know if even they understood this, but I could sum up their mutual feelings for each other just by looking at them.