Shifting: Day 2

Ariana

YESTERDAY, half the house was done. Today we were suppose to set up the other half. I was bored, honestly, it was fun when I only had to decorate my room. Now I had to decorate the living room and kitchen. As it was sunday, we didn't have school to my great disappointment. I was missing Sid and Adrien dearly. I had Adrien's number now but I wanted to call him when no one was around.

We reached the new house in the morning, but this time Madison's sister, both our mothers and Anne didn't come with us. Anne had to go somewhere with her parents and our mothers decided to come in the afternoon, with lunch. So there were only four of us. It didn't make much difference because our fathers were doing most of the work anyway.

"Ariana, where should the couch go?" Mr. Schwimmer asked me.

I tried to think but Madison spoke, "Dad, put it in the centre of this room, but first we gotta put a carpet. Then we will get better idea of where to put everything else." Then Madison looked at me, "I was up all night, thinking where everything would go."

I smiled with relief. Perks of having a responsible friend.

The carpet was spread in the center of the room and a table was kept in the middle. Then, the television was set up between the doors of our rooms (there was a lot of space there), it was placed in such a way that the table was right in front of it. My father knows a lot about electric appliances so we didn't need an electrician.

The couch was placed aligned in front of the television and table. The table was rectangular and one of its longer edges faced the couch whole the other faced the television. Two smaller sofas (they could only fit two people) faced the smaller edges of the table.

"See? It looks great." Madison said proudly as our fathers sat on the couch, completely exhausted.

Madison gave them some water as the bell rang.

"Food is here!" Madison said excitedly and opened the door.

To our surprise, it was our landlady with Joey.

"Food indeed... " I whispered, checking him out (again). The only cute single guy but he was gay. Anyway, Joey wasn't my type. Madison nudged me as my father came to the door with Mr. Schwimmmer.

"Good morning, Mrs. Otilia." Dad said.

"Hello!" The old lady said cheerfully,"I just came by to check on how everything is going. Met little Joe on the way."

Madison snickered at Joey who gave her the blank face treatment.

"Everything is perfect, Mrs. Otilia. Please come in. You too, Joey." Madison said. I looked at my father, he didn't know Joey, so he looked confused.

"He's Madison's friend. He is in our school too." I told him.

We showed Joey and Mrs. Otilia our rooms and they looked impressed. When we entered Madison's room, Joey said, "Are you trying to summon Satan here?"

"Well, God isn't helping, is he?"Madison said, sarcastically.

***

Soon our mothers came with Madison's sister. Mrs. Otilia went away, leaving Joey behind.

We had lunch, and then set out to work again. Now we just had to set up the kitchen and keep the extra items in store room. The washroom didn't need a lot of work.

"Um, Joey? What is your section?" I asked after a lot of thinking.

"C. Why do you ask?"

I sighed in disappointment as Madison laughed.