Shifting: Day 1

Madison

WE were in our new neighbourhood, Midwood, Brooklyn. I was standing at the front gate of my new house with my parents, my sister, Anne, Ariana and her parents. Yes, a total of eight people were going to set up a house for two people. Efficiency everyone.

And yes, we had two trucks filled with furniture, and many suitcases. With this much man-power, we were easily going to arrange everything in one day.

"Lets get this bread," I said and turned to my father, "you know you will have to arrange most of the furniture, right?"

My father looked at Mr. Valerie and both of them nodded. We could have gotten some helpers but money doesn't grow on trees. Hey, it doesn't! I don't care if money is made out of paper which is made out of trees. Your arguments are  invalid before whatever my father says.

I opened the front gate to have another look around. After passing from the front yard, I reached the door. Inside, the rectangular living room was empty. The wall right in front of me had two doors on its ends, those were two room: Mine and Ariana's, the right one being mine and left one being hers. On my left, there was a small gallery which lead to another room, but this one was smaller. The gallery had the washroom attached on its left wall. There was a platform on my left side, which meant the kitchen was kind of in the living room.

***

The beds were the first things to be set up in both our rooms. I actually liked my big, rectangular room with just the bed, but I had a lot of other stuff to put there. I stood at the door of my room and mapped out everything. The wall right in front of me had one big window aligned to the right, the curtains needed to be put. My bed was put in the most obvious place, one of its edges touched the windowed wall, the head of my bed touched the corner of my left wall. 

"My wardrobe will go to the further corner of the wall on my right. A small table beside my bed, yes, for the portable speaker. I will make a picture wall with soft board and pins on the wall to my left." As the door of the room was on the left corner of the wall it was on, there was plenty of space on my right side. "My big bookshelf will go there, my right wall will still have some space left, but I don't want my room to be very crowded. And of course, I will be decorating my walls with lights. That sounds about right." I imagined how my room would look and smiled. I told my parents to set up the big furniture and leave the rest to me.

***

Ariana's room was set up first. She didn't let me enter until it was done. I felt like I was entering the cabin of some fairy when I stepped in. Her room was the same size as mine, but that's where the similarities almost ended. Ariana's bed was set up in such a way, it touched the mid-part of the left wall, and the rest part of the wall was decorated by glittery fairy lights and heart-shaped small sticker lights. Her wardrobe was bigger than mine and took most of the wall in front of her bed. She also had the window where I did, but she had put long flowing pink curtains on it. A big mirror was attached to the wall next  to the window.Her room had a lot of empty space compared to mine. 

"I will paint this empty wall," she said, pointing at the wall next to the door.

"Wow, this room looks so beautiful." I said.

"Anne helped me with the lights... They look fab!" Ariana exclaimed and Anne bowed down.

"Come on Madison, we need to adjust your room now." Anne said.

"Most of my furniture is kept, I have also kept all my clothes in the wardrobe. I just need to put on the lights and curtains. Then I will set all my books in the book shelf." I said just as my sister came with a pretty huge carton labeled BOOKS. She was carrying it effortlessly, despite the fact that there were more than seventy books in it. 

A word about my sister, I know I should have said this earlier but its okay. Her name is Haily, I call her Hal. She calls me stupid. She is the best. I have been fighting her my whole life but no one gets me like she does. She isn't like all the other girls, she has short hair and muscular arms, yes she knew gymnastics. Her ears has more than two piercings and black tattoos on her wrist. She has natural big eyes but her sharp black eyeliner gave her a fierce look. She was barely anything like me but I inherited her sarcasm.

"Mads, where should I keep this?" She asked.

"On the bed, I will set them."

"I wanna see your room! I was so busy with mine. Show me."

"Let me fix the lights once. Then we'll be even." I smiled.

"Can I help?" Anne asked eagerly.

"Sure you can. Ariana, go put you outfits in the wardrobe. I will tell you when I'm done." I said.

***

My room looked almost how I imagined it to be. It gave vibes polar opposite to Ariana's room. My lights were red and purple, the purple ones attached un-uniformly on both walls that touched my bed, and the red ones were sticker lights in the shape of lines, and music symbols, which were attached on the blank space on the wall next to my wardrobe. The curtains were black with random grey striped printed. I loved my room more than anything.  My parents were doubtful but my sister totally supported me and liked it too.

"This is so dark! Wow!" Ariana said, clearly impressed. 

"My room is hell, yours is heaven." I shrugged.

"That makes so much sense..." Anne said.

"Now the hall and kitchen need to be set up. But we will do that tomorrow. Its getting pretty late right now." Mrs. Valerie said.

"Okay! I am so happy!" Ariana laughed.

"Anne, come we will drop you home." My mother offered and Anne agreed. We got out of the house and started walking towards our cars. The trucks were gone because we kept everything inside. 

"Everything is changing." I said after I was sitting in my car with Anne, my parents and my sister.

"Positive changes are good." My sister smiled encouragingly and Anne side hugged me.

I was so glad, my life was filled with the best people. I had so much, nothing to worry about.