Luna Venus Brightdoom

Song: PoV playlist by Martine Malfoy

What exactly does one say to the woman whose life ended just so you could be born?

What's up?

Thank you for dying so that I could live?

I'm sorry Mother sacrificed you so that she could have me?

Literally all of those options were trash.

Grandma laughed a soft laugh that sounded like the chiming of sweet bells. It was a quiet tinkle much unlike the deep resonance of her voice. She softened within her shades of moonlight, smiling upon me as if I was the silliest thing in the world. 

"It's alright, Venus," she said. "I've forgiven my daughter for what she did a long time ago. I've made peace with how things have turned out."

Grandma held her hand out for me and I rushed forward like an excited pup. For the first time in my life I was with my grandma. She was real. She was here and, luckily for me, she wasn't as crazy as everyone remembered her to be.

That was a nice bonus.

"I wish I had more time with you. I'd love to tell you how proud I am. Not just of you but of my sweet Serene too," she murmured. Her warm thumb drew soothing circles over my own trembling hands. I knew this moment wouldn't last forever but I savored this instance for what it really was.

A blessing.

"But, she's almost here. The second star. We're out of time." Grandma sighed before wrapping me in a quick hug. She was warm and strong, like Mother. "Tell my daughter I love her. Tell her that it's ok. I'm ok."

The Moon Goddess and her powerful presence interrupted our embrace, calming the chill of the cold wind. My ancestor beamed at me with pride causing my chest to swell with emotion.

She must not have looked too deeply into my mind if she could still smile at me so widely...

"She's here." Luna nodded over my shoulder. I turned around and watched as from deep within the thicket of trees came...

Me.

My mouth fell wide open as I watched a copy of myself walk towards the three of us. Everything about me was right there. The long silver hair, the black skin, the face, the walk, everything.

The doppelganger had everything down to a T. Even Leo's now gone hoodie covered her, my, body.

"What the actual fuck...?"

"The stars have no real physical form," Luna explained. "So they take the shape of those already in existence. I suppose she's chosen you this time around."

Oh, fuck me. This was all kinds of wrong.

"Hello," Cheap Knock Off Venus said. "My name is Thalia and I'm here to bear witness to your decision."

"Thalia? I thought you were the second star."

The corner of Thalia's lips, my lips, curled upwards into a half smirk. "I am the second star. I go by many names."

And many faces apparently.

It took everything within me to suppress my shudder as Thalia came closer. Standing before me like a funky Halloween mirror, I watched as her bright blue eyes shifted to the lake. I saw nothing but our own reflections. Nevertheless, I knew that she was seeing something else. Something more.

I could tell by the way her eyes became round with wonder.

There was something disturbing about seeing your own eyes light up with interest. Even more unsettling was to watch it happen when they weren't on your face.