A Bittersweet Farewell

Song: Acoustic Sad Songs by 19xx Music

Beta Ryan was brokenhearted watching Reign and John glare at each other from across the way. The sun was slipping dangerously low and the time for battle was almost upon us. With Alpha Draco and Luna Cora busy, it was Beta Ryan's responsibility to oversee the challenge.

If Reign were to die now, Beta Ryan could do nothing but stand by and watch.

The sun slipped below the horizon, leaving a trail of pinks and rich purples behind. The canvas of day gave way to the impending night. Already, a few stars blinked flashing lights above our sacred challenge.

I tightened my hold on Leo's hand as Reign stepped into the makeshift ring. A circle no bigger than ten feet was drawn into the cold ground. Only meters away where Sky lay dying with Flora and Pride, her brother and father prepared to kill each other.

"It's time." Beta Ryan's stoic face pained me. A man that I knew was mostly bubbly, carefree, and silly had been reduced to something like this. His dull eyes went to John and asked, "As the person challenged you get to choose first how you'll fight. Full shift or half?"

Full shift.

John would be a damn fool to fight a battle like lupus proelium in anything but his wolf form. This was a no holds barred match meaning that every bit of strength mattered.

"Full shift."

Called it.

Beta Ryan nodded and turned to his Mate. "What about you, Beta Reign? Full shift or half?"

Reign regarded his father with a cool expression. No traces of emotion lined his apathetic face. "Half shift."

"The fuck is he doing?" Leo muttered. I felt his confused stare on my skin but couldn't bring myself to look away. "Half shift against a full shifted wolf? That's suicide. Is he trying to die?"

Reign took his place before us, watching as his father walked to stand across from him. On his way there John shifted into his large black wolf. His coldblooded grey eyes glared with so much hatred that it made me feel sick to my stomach. How could anyone ever look at their own pup in such a way?

I didn't understand how someone could be so cruel.

Reign's hands shifted into his large paws, brown fur emerging where skin once was. Long black claws extended from his blunt nails. The tell tale snapping of his jaws alerted us to the appearance of his sharp canine teeth. As the last of the yellow rays vanished from the sky. Reign's golden back glowed softly underneath the sun's last breath.

Only then did I realize that the lines on his back couldn't be whippings. No, they were too linear for that. Too close together.

"He's going to fight his father the same way he was abused," I mumbled. Reign's wolf ears twitched in acknowledgement of my words and I knew then I was right. "Claws."

After reminding everyone the rule of lupus proelium, Beta Ryan gave a stiff nod and the fight began. John bolted forward, gnashing his teeth venomously. Within seconds he was upon Reign. John's intimidating wolf soared through the air, claws out and canines ready to kill.

I held my breath as Reign stood unmoving. My heart beat wildly within my throat and Reign still didn't move. Leo tightened his hold on my hand, our shared anxiety rising. When John was no more than a rabbit's hop above Reign, the lithe Beta finally struck his opponent.

His fierce growl pierced the air and he lurched forward. Reign raised his right paw and slid beneath his fathers flying body. All five of his razor-sharp claws penetrated John's body. From neck to stomach Reign ripped John clean open. He fell to the earth in a crumpled heap, heaving as his blood and organs spilled out.