Opening Eyes

Song: Gentle Rain at Night by The Relaxed Guy

His dazzling blue eyes were like the sea. I didn't like that. Because the sea was too unpredictable.

The wolf's entire body language said that he was prepared to attack. The raised haunches and curled upper lip. The sharpness of his ears flattened the longer we stared at each other. His bushy grey tail remained sticking up high in the air.

He wasn't backing down in the wake of my challenge. Sensing that he was of a higher rank, I came to the conclusion that he was probably an Alpha. Not the Alpha of this Pack. But someone simply born from an Alpha and Luna pairing who had no claim to a Court.

"Look, I don't know what your deal is," I said. "But I just need to speak with my cousins. We'll leave as soon as I speak with them."

His ears twitched and he flicked his tail. Out from the bushes emerged five more Warriors. Each and every one of them were just as alert and big as the wolf before me. In my wolf form, I was pretty small for being only six feet tall. These Warriors seemed to reach the maximum eight feet height for our kind.

My ears perked at the sound of a car door opening and I raised my hand. Drops of rain continued to fall. At my silent command, whoever it was froze and no one exited the car.

Who was getting out of the car?

Leo.

Don't let him.

They're looking at him funny.

Got it.

There was shuffling and a quiet whispering of curses before the door slammed shut. The SUV beeped as all the doors locked from the inside.

Do you need me to come out?

Not yet.

Just, watch my back.

"Bring me your Alpha and Luna," I commanded. The wolf gave out a low pitched whine, tilting his head to the side at the sound of my order. I wasn't a full Luna or his Luna. So he didn't necessarily have to listen. But the need to submit to someone of a higher rank was still a powerful urge for him to fight against.

His dubious eyes glazed over and I knew he was contacting someone through his Pack bond. Feeling a little better about the situation, I mind linked Pride to come out and be by my side. Right now, he was the only person I could trust to effectively watch my back in case things took a turn for the worst.

Which they did as soon as the car door opened and Pride stepped out.

The glaze covering the grey wolf's eyes vanished as he rose to his full height and growled. The five Warriors making up his posse followed suit, creeping out of the woods and onto the wet road.

They smelled the magick in his blood.

"He's a Hybrid." A brown wolf to my right snapped his jaws at me and I took a step back from their territory. "He's on our side."

My words meant nothing to them. Some Packs never let go of prejudices against the children of Werewolves and Witches. It didn't even matter that the Moon Goddess herself made such a pairing possible. For them, having a child with the race that once owned your ancestors was seen as the ultimate offense.

The grey wolf lunged over me and I raised my hands in self defense. A silver barrier met him mid leap, propelling him away from Pride. The brown wolf from before rushed forward and I gripped his neck. I slammed him to the ground and stomped on his stomach. A sickening crunch filled the air as a few of his ribs cracked under my foot.