Saviors or Foes?

Song: dark royalty playlist by Ivoryyy

My lungs were on fire as I dove behind a green dumpster for cover. Streaks of blue lightning struck the spot I was standing at before. Black rubble jumped from the exploding asphalt.

I could taste the electricity in the air.

A silver shield encased my body as I gripped the dagger. This was my chance! The Dark Witch's shadow grew larger and larger until-

I pounced!

Raw hunger laced throuh my veins and I plunged the Dagger of the Mind into her pale forehead. The Dark Witch's dull green eyes went wide with shock. Her devilish smirk fell into a small red pout. A familiar spray of freckles twitched as her nose breathed in heavily. Gripping her fiery red mane, I yanked her ponytail back and brought her to her knees.

"Flora!" I called out. The grey she-wolf heard my silent order and raced to my side to protect me. It'd taken what must've been an hour of constant fighting to finally isolate one of the Pridesong Witches. We couldn't waste this opportunity!

Flora stood guard at the alley's entrance as I pushed the dagger deeper. The hilt was flushed against her white skin. Blue smoke emerged from Mercury's symbol as the blade drained all knowledge from the Witch. Her frozen body convulsed as her skin sunk into itself. It was as if all the blood was leaving her body. Leaving behind only a remnant of what she used to be. Taut skin clung to her sharp bones as the dagger took everything for itself.

It was horrifying to watch.

But, also, a little satisfying?

Strength flowed within me as images fired through my mind at a rapid pace. Times and places of coordinated attacks. One of them was scheduled for tonight due to the hotel manager giving away our location. That filthy Elf!

What a coward.

I stole all of her information and with a sickening grin, twisted the dagger until it was free. Pieces of her skull clutched the silver blade. But there was no blood.

Her body fell with a repulsive crunch. She was nothing more than a limp pile of nothingness. I kicked her dead carcass behind the dumpster and staggered out of the alley.

Suddenly, the gash in my left calf wasn't so painful anymore.

I whistled and Flora perked up. Nodding towards the two Witches Sky was battling, we raced forward and tackled them to the ground. My malnourished eyes speared Sky with a sinister gaze and I hissed, "Do it!"

"Alright," Sky murmured. "Let's give it a shot."

She slipped the golden band over her left ring finger. The simple ring adjusted to fit her and she held her hand over the two Witches. They squirmed in our holds, muttering obscenities. None of their attempts to flee were successful as our shields (courtesy of me) repelled every one of them.

A deep red glowed around Sky's curvy body. Keeping her eyes on the Witches, she mumbled her order to take away their love and the ring complied. It was unlike anything I'd ever felt before. It was as if I could physically feel their familial love for each other vanish. Like it never existed in the first place.

As I probed around within their empty shells with my gift, I didn't find any love. None. There was no love for each other or anyone else left.

They were frighteningly empty.

Something within me was urging me to stop but I couldn't afford to pay it any mind. Not right now, at least. I straddled the Witch in my grasp and thrusted the dagger into her head. She never fought me once. The Dark Witch simply lay still, as if she were in a coma, and let me do as I wished.