Obsidian and Silver

Song: light royalty core playlist

"Should we eavesdrop?" Mera asked. The inner pup within me yearned to say yes. But the budding, more logical Luna part of me, chose the mature option instead.

"No," I replied. "They'd get mad if they caught us."

"The future Court of the Moon Warriors Pack should not act like such children," the two of us berated each other. We giggled at the brainless imitation of our mother's stern voices and left the Pack House together.

"Wanna come by and see my mom?" Mera ran her fingers through her dark brown fringe; a nervous tic from when we were children. Her short, boyish cut shined in the afternoon rays and I reached up to fix the textured hair.

"Later," I promised. "I wanna go to the river first and make sure none of the Mermaids got hurt."

My future Beta nodded her head, a thoughtful look overcoming her pale face. Nibbling the bottom of her wide lip, Mera's blue eyes met mine and a silent plea passed between us.

"I'll check on Syrena," I whispered. Many wolves were out and about on this bright day of sunshine. Clearing debris and chopping down the necessary wood needed to rebuild all that we'd lost. They were all too occupied with their own tasks to notice our hushed conversation. But I whispered anyway to ease Mera's jittery nerves. "Have you two talked since-"

"No." Mera picked at her black flannel before leaning down for my benefit. "I was gonna tell my parents last night but-"

"Say no more." Looping my arm through hers, I squared my shoulders and remembered my teachings. "Let this situation blow over first. Take care of your mom, make sure your baby brother's good, and support your dad."

Be a good Beta, I mind linked her. Singed houses and fallen trees passed us by as I escorted Mera home. I nodded to my fellow Pack members and loaned each of them a sliver of my power in return. Raw energy poured into them and they quickened their pace of reconstruction.

I would join them after my talk with Syrena.

I'm a Beta in training.

A Beta in training is still a Beta.

"You sound like your mom," Mera snorted. I glowed at the high praise and stood taller. Good. All of my lessons would've been for nothing if I didn't possess a fraction of my mother's Luna talent.

Thank you.

After a short spell of silence I asked, "Are you sure that Syrena's your Mate? You're not even 21 yet."

Some Mates found each other before they turned 21. But whether they were actually Mate's wasn't confirmed until they reached maturity. For wolves, that didn't happen until we were 21 years old.

"I'm sure," she sighed. "I've been sure ever since we were eighteen. Every year I get closer to 21, the stronger the urge to be with her gets. It physically hurts my heart not to have her so close all the time."

Mera leaned closer to me for comfort and I stroked the underside of her arm. It was an old trick from when we were children that had never failed to work. Rubbing my thumb into her wrist, I poured some of my power into her and soothed her hammering heart.

"And with my brother on the way..." Mera's eyes glossed over and I redirected our path to a secluded area so no one would see her. "I know it's selfish of me to say that. I know I shouldn't even be thinking it but..."

Mera trailed off at a loss for words and I frowned. I knew what she was saying without her even having to say it.

"Do you think your parents would ask you to give up your position as Beta?" It wouldn't be a surprise to me if they did and it would make complete sense for them to do so. Matters of the heart be damned, it was in their best interest to put the good of the Pack first. And if Mera's Mate actually did turn out to be Syrena, then that meant she had no heirs to give. Two women couldn't make a baby or carry on the lineage needed for succession.