The Prey in the Stars

Song: Meet Me On The Battlefield by SVRCINA

Adrenaline coursed through my silver laced veins as I forced my way through the foliage of the night. The poison pulsing within me weakened my run to a quick foot stumble. That revelation alone only added to my rising fury. Gritting my teeth, I absorbed the screams of death and forced myself to sprint faster.

This was my Pack burning to the ground.

These were my people.

I needed to do something.

I was Venus Brightdoom of the Moon Warriors Pack. The daughter of the Alpha and Luna. And I was not about to allow my home to be successfully invaded because a bit of silver got into my system.

Giving up wasn't in my vocabulary.

Emerging from the tall bushes, I coughed on the scent of burning wood and flesh. Scores of Werewolves ran back and forth from the river to the crumbling houses. Cold water sloshed within the rusty buckets as they worked to put out the climbing flames. Overwhelming heat washed over me and I readied myself to enter the scorching fire.

Cries of help filled my ears and my heart ached at the sound of a crying child. Closing my eyes for a split second, I focused on the blubbering voice and honed in on their location. "Poppa! Momma!"

The top floor.

"Moon Goddess, give me strength," I prayed. Strands of silver enveloped my dark melanin imbued skin and I opened my eyes. I was ready. With the poison in my blood, my feet pounded against the cold earth and I ran towards the destruction. The blessing of the Moon Goddess swathed me in silver glamour, protecting me from the heat.

I breathed easy and stumbled up the caving stairs. Yelping, my left foot sunk into the broken step and I braced myself against the ashy walls. Fire licked my dark palms but not a single flame singed my skin. I forced my foot free from its trapped wooden inferno and resumed running upstairs.

"I'm coming!" I called out.

"Vivi!" My blood ran cold at the sound of my baby cousin's voice. How hadn't I noticed that before?!

"Get to the window, Malec!" I fought through the blazing debris of the second floor and raced towards the third. Damn my uncle and his architectural dreams! Family portraits curled in on themselves. I watched as the faces of my ancestors glowed red before disappearing into black. Bursting through the fire licked door, I found the terrified six year old huddled by the foggy window. "Malec!"

"Vivi!" His little voice sputtered as he coughed on the rising fumes. Grey smoke flooded the room and we raced towards each other. Malec's burned body latched onto me and he buried his face into my chest. Extending my silver glamour to him, I gripped him as tight as I could and prepared to run back down.

A loud screeching filled my ears and an unknown tongue engulfed the fiery air. That damn Witch was still nearby. The foundation of the house rumbled at the whispering of her incantation. I ran towards the open door before she could topple the house completely. As I reached the threshold the flaring roof screamed in anguish and collapsed. Wood and blackened mementos stored in the attic fell through, demolishing our exit. The new addition of the weight caused the floor beneath us to groan and slowly dip downwards.

"Vivi?" Malec's tear stained cheeks brushed my exposed chest. I glanced down at the petrified child as he asked, "Are we gonna die?"

Stroking the fair boy's cheek, I firmly promised, "No."

Turning to the shut window, I pressed Malec closer and ran. The ground underneath slowly gave away with each step I took towards freedom. "Hold on tight," I whispered.