02

Chapter Two: Babysitter?

Anala's pov:

It's been a couple of weeks since my last assignment and I'm growing impatient. I don't leave the house much, mainly because I'm not allowed to. Marco always says how it's not safe and I'm targeted for all the killing I've done, but I am one of the best assassins in the world. I can protect myself.

But of course, I don't tell him this. That would only bring hell. 

I decide I'm gonna go to Mateo and Sage's, my cousin's house also known as the empire. Sage and I don't get along, she has always had it out for me since we were little but I'm not really sure why. 

Mateo and I, on the other hand, spend the most time together. We don't always see eye to eye but he's the closest to a best friend that I have.

We don't talk about our feelings or shit but we do talk about work and other random stuff. 

Mateo and Sage aren't all that close either from what I piece together. They have a fairly normal brother-and-sister relationship I would say. 

Mateo took over the mafia and he is now the leader since both his parents died at one of their own events a couple of years back. Since he was the heirloom he took full control at the age of nineteen. The amount of responsibility he has is hard to fathom. 

After I'm done getting ready I make my way downstairs. I see Marco sitting at the dining table. His gaze meets mine. "Where are you off to, young lady?" He says getting up and bringing his plate to the sink.

"I was gonna go to Mateo's," I say, going to grab an apple from the bowl on the counter.

"No you have  training to do, that little stunt you pulled on your last assignment won't ever happen again." He says sternly. I don't understand why I couldn't have done this directly after my assignment, not two weeks after.

"Why can't I just do it another day? I don't ask for much," I add. I rarely ever leave the house unless it's assignments or training and most training we do at the house.

"I already made up my mind, Anala, don't push it because I will always win."

"Whatever, where and what am I training?" I don't argue because it never ends well. I've learned to just keep my mouth shut, but my attitude is just something I cannot help.

"I know you are angry with me but it's for the best Anala and I only want the best for you." He always says this but sometimes I think he just wants me to be lonely. I don't mind being alone. It's just nice being able to interact with other people once in a while besides training.

"Canton will pick you up in about 20 minutes to bring you to the empire but you will not be seeing Mateo. This is not social time or anything but work-related. I only want your focus to be on training. Do you hear me?" I nod in return. "Good, today you will be training for everything," he finishes.

Canton is our driver. He is really funny and talks to me whenever I see him. I would definitely consider him a friend. He's been caring for me since I was fifteen so we are fairly close. He's quite a big man, might I add. He has dark skin and pale eyes. 

I go back upstairs and change into some athletic shorts and a tee shirt. I'm not trying to look hot or anything because I could care less about what I look like when I train. Plus after today there is a good chance I'm gonna come home with bruises and cuts all over my body.

I find my way to the black Cadillac Escalade and Canton opens the door for me. "What's up, long time no see," he says and we do our handshake before we get in the car. It's really simple but it's something we made up when I was younger and it's stuck.