CHAPTER TWENTY

CHAPTER TWENTY

The fete was the next day and Liliya had cancelled all her lessons with Alina until afterwards. It was unnecessary to overwork the Summoner especially considering that she could control her powers well enough. Her fighting was better. Not perfect but she could hold her own from what Liliya had observed. It was enough and the Stag was being found.

A company of First Army soldiers had been sent to track it and Liliya wasn't sure what their status was. She didn't entirely care. Her mission was to keep Alina under their charm and she had played the part perfectly. Since discovering that Daish had been killed by her, she didn't care anymore. Nothing else mattered but killing everyone.

She would kill Alina if she had to but she needed to kill Isaak. He was a threat and all threats had to be eliminated. Nothing could stand in her and Aleksander's way. They had things that they needed to do and they needed to do them quickly. The stag was the last piece in the complicated puzzle and Isaak was an outsider threatening to break the puzzle apart.

"Lili?" Alina said, snapping the redhead out of her daze. The two had been lounging in Alina's room. Alina was walking around and trying to busy herself while Liliya lounged back. The nightmares had only got worse and sleep was constantly threatening to take over but she did her best to ignore those feelings. It didn't matter.

"Yes?" Liliya asked as she lifted her head to face the black-haired girl. She was now fiddling with some clothes, folding them over as she walked to the foot of the bed.

"Are you okay?" Alina questioned. Her voice was tentative and it was almost as if she was afraid that she would offend Liliya for asking. Liliya smiled and slid off the bed. Her exhaustion made her wobbly for a moment before she walked over and wrapped her arms around Alina.

"Just thinking, dove. What were you saying?" She mumbled against Alina's hair as she held her tighter. Alina relaxed into the hug and let her forehead rest against Liliya's shoulder. The two just stood like that for a moment and Liliya allowed Alina to think.

"Aleksander has asked me to wear black to the fete. They are your colours. Yours and Aleksander's... not mine," Alina responded as she pulled away. Liliya sighed at her words and watched as she walked over to the mirror. Her hands pressed against the blue kefta she was currently wearing, biting her lip slightly.

"You are one of us, Alina," Liliya reassured as she walked up behind the girl. Alina shook her head, letting her hands fall to her sides. The two met gazes in the reflection and Liliya smiled softly. She hoped that her exhaustion had been masked well enough by Genya. She needed to look perfect.

"No I'm not. I am not a Shadow Summoner," Alina argued. Liliya sighed and ran her hand down to Alina's waist, pulling her back slightly. The redhead rested her face against the back of Alina's head, pressing a soft kiss to her hair.