CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN.

When Liliya awoke, everything ached. Between her night with Aleksander and the long journey she had already taken, she wanted to fall back asleep. The barn had a straw mattress that her and Aleksander had taken refuge on. He was resting against her. His head on her chest, his eyes closed as he dozed in the midday sun.

Her fingers moved to gently run through his hair. Enjoying the sight of him snuggled up against her. Sleeping seemed to be the only time that he was truly at peace and unaffected by reputation or his want to hide his feelings. Some part of him must have cared for her, she was sure of that. Otherwise he wouldn't be here and he wouldn't have made love to her like he had.

Her body littered with marks from him. Bruises had surely developed on her hips but she didn't mind. Not if she was privelged enough to see him now. Sleepy and unaware of her gaze on his face. It was nice. It was different. Then, she heard noise and her head snapped towards the barn door. It was hidden behind a rotting wooden wall but she knew that they were in the middle of nowhere. Anyone could be here.

"Aleksander..." She whispered softly as she moved her hands to rest against his face. She lifted his head up and it woke him slightly, "I can hear someone," She added. Aleksander opened his eyes and stared at her for a moment before he nodded. He pushed himself up from the mattress and grabbed his kefta from the floor. He was mostly dressed still. After their activities, they had made sure to redress before falling asleep. It was better that way.

He slid the kefta over his shoulders and stepped away from her. Instantly becoming alert as he creeped out. Liliya pushed herself to sit up and slid off the bed. She pulled her own kefta on quietly but then she heard Aleksander walk back and he was making no effort to be silent.

"It was the horse," He said. Liliya nodded and then stepped towards him. She pulled him down into a kiss and pulled his head down, gripping his hair. He let out a surprised gasp but found himself kissing back. His hands moving to rest against her waist but then she winced. She pulled back and turned her head down, letting the pain surpass.

"Maybe we shouldn't do that," She muttered softly. Aleksander hummed and then leant forward, pressing a soft kiss to her jaw. Her neck was covered in marks from him and he loved seeing them. There was also no healer around to fix them so he would be seeing them for a long while.

"Do you have a plan? A way to find the boy?" He asked and Liliya nodded. She sat down on the edge of the mattress and grabbed her boots from the side. She dragged them over and slipped them on. Aleksander doing the same with his.

"I do. We should be close to the Fold now. The boy should be arriving somewhere near here any day now," Liliya said as she pushed her fingers through her hair. The dull ache spread through her body again and she wanted nothing more than to lie back down. The prospect of walking - or riding - through the entire day sounded like a nightmare.