CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE.

The morning had been quiet and Aleksander had been quieter than usual. She didn't mind it but the aimless staring at the ceiling wasn't her favoured activity. Aleksander usually spoke to her, distracted her but he was focused on other things. She hated that he was. His cuddles made her forget her troubles and she had a nightmare not that she told him. She didn't want to admit it. She had been better. But Isaak. He had ruined everything.

"I'm going to get ready," Liliya decided as she slid out of bed. Aleksander hummed in response and she went through her routine. Washing her face, sliding all her clothes on. It had been months but wearing the black kefta still felt strange.

Once she was ready, she walked out to the War Room. Her gaze flicked to the map that still had her markers littered across it. Nothing and now they had so many other problems. She crossed over the room, away from Aleksander's chamber, and towards the entrance of the Little Palace. A walk around would clear her head and maybe Aleksander would be more willing to talk.

She had planned to go on a long walk around the grounds before coming back to eat with Genya or have breakfast in bed with Aleksander. Either one felt appealing but she stopped short of the door. Lev stumbled towards her, covered in cuts and bruises. A hand gripping his stomach as his face scrunched up in pain. Every inch of skin covered in crimson.

"Lev," Liliya said quickly, not entirely believing it was him. He was in Ketterdam. She rushed over to him and wrapped an arm around his torso, pulling the weight off his feet, "What happened?" She asked quickly. Lev let out a soft hiss as his arm pressed awkwardly against Liliya's kefta. Her arm didn't move as the two headed towards the Corporalkis. He was bleeding out and she wasn't going to let him die. She had no idea how he even got here. He might have information and they had been friends for years. She couldn't lose him.

"Isaak," Lev spat as he cried softly. His fingers digging into the skin of his stomach, trying to stop any further bleeding, "I decided to follow him. He didn't like that. Why didn't I know he was a Shadow Summer?" Lev asked, the bitterness lacing his tone as Liliya guided him down the next corridor. The redhead bit her lip, letting her head flick from side-to-side in search of someone. She didn't know if the Corporalkis would be awake. It was a Sunday, everyone relaxed in the mornings.

"I only told General and Roma. I didn't want everyone to know. We're going to kill him before anyone needs to know," Liliya responded, trying to sound sure of herself. But in relatively, she knew it was a simple excuse for her lies. She had been stupid to not at least tell Lev something. He was part of the team. He deserved to know but after Tomas, she didn't know who to trust. They had been friends for years yet he stabbed them in the back at the first chance. Now, he was dead in the Ravkan wilderness and nobody looked for his body, nobody mourned a traitor.

"Of course Roma found out. He's always been your lackey," Lev spat. His hands balling into fists briefly before he let out a frustrated sigh. He didn't have the energy to show his anger any more than that. He was exhausted. Liliya hauled him the rest of the way to the Infirmary and placed him down on a bed. She snatched up a towel and pressed it against his wound, guiding his hands to press down against it.