CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO.

      The journey across to Shu Han was exhausting. It wasn't as bad as the first time and with Ivan, it was a little more tolerable. He was as serious as ever and barely responded but his company was better than nothing. He knew where they stood and he made no attempt to try and be better than her. They knew their place with each other and it made sleeping, eating and generally being around him much better.

     When they arrived, he also provided some use. He wasn't able to heal her or prevent much damage but his abilities were feared and were effective. Much more than her own which the village knew of and were cautious of after their last encounter. She still came out just as wounded as before but at least now they had the boy under their wing.

     Ivan had managed to catch him after some quick thinking and with the use of his abilities, slowing the boy's heart rate until he fell unconscious. Liliya didn't agree with his course of action but she quickly realised, she didn't have much of a say in how the boy was treated. Not when Ivan was around, he was under strict orders from General Kirigan and he would not so easily break them.

     But after a day or so of travelling, the boy awoke and Ivan was half-asleep against the side of the carriage. He had not slept well and Liliya was suddenly glad that he was not conscious enough to put the boy back to sleep. He looked so innocently sleeping soundly by her side so when she noticed him, she turned her body to face him.

     Her hands resting on her lap as his eyes blinked open. He lifted his head and looked around, seeing Ivan and then her. His face turning into a deep frown as he shuffled away from her. His feet kicking out as he pushed himself into the corner. Liliya smiled softly at him.

     "We won't hurt you," She said softly in Shu. It had been her chosen language when she studied at the academy. She just hoped the familiarity of his language would calm him down. He seemed to relax but not entirely, looking at her, "My name is Liliya. That is Ivan. Neither of us want to hurt you. Would you tell me your name? " She continued. Keeping her tone soft and quiet as she moved a little closer. He tensed up again and shook his head.

     Liliya softly bit her bottom lip as she glanced around the area, hoping to find something that would calm him down. Two bloody and bruised strangers had kidnapped him and knocked him unconscious. She wasn't surprised that he was scared and then she reached into her bag, realising she had snatched up one of his toys when nobody was looking.

     "I found this. I believe it belongs to you," She said as she offered out the stuffed toy to him. His fingers were cautious but once he had a firm hold, he snatched the toy away. Holding it tight to his chest as he looked up at her. She smiled softly and then shuffled back, giving him space, "We are taking you to Os Alta. We won't let you get hurt. We will be there soon," Liliya hoped her words were soothing. She was never good at being motherly even if she wished she was. Having children had always been something she dreamed of but that seemed unlikely so she let that dream go. Instead making sure to protect the children she came across.