CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE

After her morning training with Botkin, Liliya felt sore. The fresh injuries littered her face and arm and rather than allowing herself to suffer, she decided to go to the Healer right away. It would prevent anyone from complaining so it was quickly done. Then she was off to the library, strolling through the aisles in search of a book that took her interest.

However, she was sure that she had read almost every book in the library. By the time she reached the third aisle, she hadn't found a book that she hadn't read. A soft huff escaping her lips as she turned on her feet. Kneeling down to check over the lower shelves. Her fingers skimming across the spines as she clicked her tongue.

Finding nothing, she fell onto her arse. Another huff escaping her lips as she leant back on her elbows. Her head falling back. It was pointless trying to search because she knew she would find nothing. So, she placed her hands against the wood floor and hauled herself to her feet. Her arms stretched up over her head and she yawned before letting them drop.

Her feet carried her through the library and back out the door. A few Grisha were milling down the corridor and she spotted Kirigan conversing with someone a few steps from her. So, rather than approaching, she turned and headed in the opposite direction. She just hoped that somebody would have some use for her

"There you are," Arina said as she jogged up to the redhead. Liliya was glad to have some company, a smile spreading across her face.

"Hey. You look better," Liliya said as Arina turned them down a corridor. They were heading away from the library out of the Little Palace again. Liliya didn't know what Arina was planning but it was never going to be good.

"Why is the General so irritated?" Arina asked as she dragged Liliya down the set of steps. Her eyes dragging across the grounds before the two began to walk around the back of the building.

"I assume his trackers are not doing the job they are supposed to," Liliya said, a hint of spite in her tone. Arina picked up on it and cocked an eyebrow to which Liliya shrugged, "He refused to send me to help even though it's my fault the boy escaped," She attempted to explain. Arina nodded, her hands resting at her sides.

"The Shu boy?" Arina asked and Liliya nodded, "He's only a boy. How did he even escape you?" The curiosity laced Arina's tone. It wasn't supposed to be a jab or cruel but it felt like that. Liliya had failed both herself and General Kirigan. She had let him down and now she was paying the price. Not that she believed the boy to be of importance anyway. It seemed entirely illogical. The Shu disliked the Grisha just as the Fjerdans did.

"It doesn't matter," Liliya brushed off but then Arina grabbed her arm, looking into her eyes. The contest had started and as always, Liliya lost. She turned her head and began to walk again, Arina quickly guiding them again, "I did not return the first time," Liliya began and Arina couldn't help but make a comment.