CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN.

After speaking to Roma, Liliya was exhausted. She had stayed behind in the war room, flicking through some books left on the side. Trying desperately to occupy her mind while Kirigan finished with his business for the night. She knew that she was allowed into his room and he would have no problem but she still felt unsure and awkward. Not wanting to overstep.

"Why are you still here?" Kirigan asked as he walked in. His kefta was lay over his arm as he crossed over to the door to his chambers. It was always strange to Liliya, how they were connected to the War Room but it made sense. He was always so connected to his work. He was the second most powerful man in Ravka.

"I didn't know whether to enter. I don't even know your first name," She shrugged. Kirigan brushed past her and opened the door, gesturing for her to go inside. She did so, allowing the silence to fill the space between them. Her hands resting at her side as she glanced around, quickly realising that she forgot to bring any of her nightdresses down, again.

"I had a servant bring down some of your clothes. They are in the dresser," He said, gesturing to the set of drawers next to his wardrobe. Liliya raised an eyebrow and he smiled back at her. He pulled the wardrobe door open and she was surprised to find her blue keftas hung up beside his. He had been so accommodating for her.

"Kirigan, you didn't have to bring my clothes down. I will be comfortable in my own room in a day or so. I just... needed time to process," Liliya quickly attempted to undo her overstepping. He took his night pants from the drawer and glanced back at her before he began to undo his shirt.

"Please, call me Aleksander," He said as he pulled his shirt off, "And I allowed you to sleep here. I want you to be comfortable," He added. Liliya just stared at his back for a moment. His skin exposed to her and she could see his muscles move as he took his pants off. Quickly catching herself, she turned away and rushed towards the dresser. Pulling the drawers out and searching for a nightdress. It quickly occurred to her that all of them had low necklines.

He would see the scars on her collarbones. The only scars that she was sure any Grisha had. Even he was perfect. In every way. She didn't want to expose that part of herself but she knew that she had very little choice. She had been thankful for the high necks of the kefta and blouses but now he saw the most vulnerable part of her. And he saw it while they weren't distracted by other things. He may have taken to her bed but they had been distracted. He now could see them, question them. She didn't want to answer those questions.

Only when she heard Kirigan moving onto the bed did she snap out of her daze. She cleared her throat and grabbed one of the nightdresses. She had no other choice but to let him see. Her back was to him as she changed and she walked over to the bed, unsure in her movements. He had a book in his hand now and seemed to be distracted by his reading. Barely noticing as she slid under the covers.

Once she was comfortable, she pulled the covers over her collarbones and buried the side of her face into the pillows. His bed was somehow more comfortable than hers. Something that she never thought could be possible. Kirigan continued to read for a few more minutes, flicking through pages before he placed the book down. She had been watching him the whole time. Her gaze on his face, watching his face morph between emotions.