CHAPTER NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN

What compelled Liliya to leave the Little Palace in the middle of the night was something she couldn't explain. But after an argument with Alina that day that left a sour taste in her mouth and a nightmare that had wracked her to her core, she wanted to leave. Aleksander was still in his office and she got past without him even realising.

Nobody noticed her. The shadows kept her concealed as she walked through the Little Palace. Everyone was unaware and that was exactly how she liked it. She got onto her new horse and took off into the night. The guards let her out of the Little Palace without much question. With a tongue so used to lying, Liliya's excuse had slipped off her tongue without much work.

The horse galloped through Os Alta until she found herself at the furthest outskirts of the city. It was quiet and the slums had passed now. It was just fields and cobbled walls that protected farm land from people or animals. It was idyllic in thought but in reality, it made Liliya realise just how alone she was in that moment.

The redhead slipped off the horse and tied them to the nearby wooden gate before she began to stroll down the dirt road. It was wide enough for a carriage but no carriage would be travelling down at this time of night. There was no fete, there was no important celebration and no Grisha would be returning. She knew she would be safe so she allowed herself to wonder.

Night air filled her lungs as she leant against the cobble wall. The air biting at her hot cheeks as she blew out. Her breath condensed and appeared in front of her face. It amused her slightly, being reminded of her youth.

Roma and she had snook out to see some of the noble men in the Gardens of the Palace. They saw the men smoking cigars and from that moment on, they always pretended they were smoking when it was cold enough for their breath to condense. It came with snide remarks about the nobility that had earned them many reprimands but it never stopped their child-ish rebellion.

Everything had changed now. She had befriended a noble - something she swore never to do - and Roma had left her. He had betrayed her. Sold her out to her father that was determined to kill her. The father that had plagued her dreams. Plagued her dreams along with the dead body of Daish. A boy she knew was still alive. He had to be.

"You're still holding Alina captive I see," The voice of Isaak made her jump. Her eyes snapped open and she looked to the man. His whole face was covered in shadows and she could see them surrounding him. He would use them if he wanted to so Liliya knew not to attack him. There wouldn't be a point.

"You would kill her or use her just like us. Except you don't have the skills to find the stag," Liliya responded quickly as she sat on the edge of the wall. Isaak made her heart thump and her throat tighten but she knew never to show it. Fear is what he wanted and she wasn't going to give in. She could never give in. Fear was weakness and she wouldn't be weak in front of him.