CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE.

The journey from the Camp had been quiet. Liliya and Aleksander had been following a few metres behind the carriage. They were keeping a safe distance to ensure Alina's safety but not alert anyone of their presence. Ivan wouldn't like to know that he was being watched.

Aleksander had been quiet, focusing on keeping track of the carriage. Liliya eyes flicking across the forest and spotting any threats before they came. It had been surprisingly calm but with the wind making her eyes tear up, it wasn't great to see much.

Then Liliya saw him. He darted between the trees and she gritted her teeth, pulling her horse to a spot. It wasn't long before she also spotted the Fjerdans. Her hands clenching the reins before she let her fingers relax, her head turning to Aleksander who had stopped. His horse facing her as she stared up at him.

"Aleksander, there are Fjerdans," Liliya warned. The man followed her gaze and he saw them. His jaw set and she looked back towards Isaak. He hid behind a tree as the Fjerdans look in that direction. The Druskelle would certainly be after Alina now, "Isaak is following them. Protect Alina. I need to speak to him," Liliya said as she reared her horse away from the dirt path. Aleksander watched her for a moment before turning his horse from her.

"I will meet you at the Little Palace," Aleksander said. His voice wasn't loud enough for Isaak to hear but she still heard him. Liliya nodded and glanced back, adjusting the cape so it didn't cover her arm as much. She needed as much movement if she was going to catch Isaak before he caught the Fjerdans.

"Don't get her killed," Liliya said, looking over her shoulder. A tentative smile on her face. There was no way of knowing what Isaak could or would do to her. He nearly used the cut on Lev so she was in much more danger. However, at multiple attempts on her life, she had come to terms with the idea of her own death.

"Don't get yourself killed," He retorted before he bolted off towards where the carriage had stopped. Liliya then squeezed her own horse and it began to canter through the forest. Weaving through to catch-up with Isaak before anything went wrong. He spotted her coming so she lifted her leg over the horse and slid off.

Taking him on foot and bounding after him, discarding her cape on the floor. It would only restrict her movement and get caught on a tree branch. Neither of which would be ideal if she was chasing him. Her boots pounded against the forest floor, a chill in the air but it only propelled her to go further.

That was until she lost sight of him. Coming to a quick stop, flicking her head side to side before she heard a twig behind her. She turned on her heel and moved her hands quickly, throwing shadows towards Isaak. He was surprised by her control but was able to brush them off with relative ease. His head tilting.

His hair was greasy, falling in front of his eyes. His stubble had turned into a scraggly beard that was far too long to suit him. His hand gripping a dagger and she made sure to keep wary of it. There was only so much that she could protect herself from especially if he used it unexpectedly. She was not Aleksander.