CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

It had been a few nights since Aleksander had offered his help. Nothing changed. They cuddled and stayed close and Liliya may have felt safer but nothing changed. The nightmares still came so she tried to stay awake as long as possible to avoid them. It was unconventional but it's all she could think to do. It's all she could do.

However, after a long day of training and working, Liliya managed to fall asleep early. The exhaustion of the past few days caught up to her and she fell dead asleep before Aleksander had even finished for the day. He was pleased to find her asleep when he returned and read for a while before he fell asleep too.

They didn't cuddle that night so when Liliya awoke a few hours later with a nightmare, he wasn't disturbed. Aleksander was a light-sleeper but he had also been exhausted so also didn't wake when she climbed off the bed. It was a surprise to the redhead that he didn't notice her change or leave the room but she was glad.

She needed a walk to clear her head. To feel the night air against her skin. The darkness of the night would comfort her and she just needed to be outside. It would make her feel better and then she could try and sleep again though that was unlikely. If she did manage to sleep, there would simply be another nightmare and it would make her feel worse.

The sole of her boots tapped against the polished wooden floor as she walked through the Little Palace. The corridors were quiet and everything seemed so ominous as she dragged herself towards one of the doors. It was locked when she reached it, a soft huff escaped her lips and she pressed her back against the wood.

It was ridiculous. She wanted to walk around and then sleep but she couldn't even do that. She couldn't even sleep without being plagued with nightmares of her father. It was exhausting. Life was exhausting.

There was silence as Liliya looked down the gloomy corridor that led away from the door. She didn't want to go back. She couldn't go back but she couldn't break the door just to get outside, that was ridiculous. If this was closed, the others might be too and she shook her head. It was pointless. Aleksander would wonder where she was if she stayed here.

But then Ivan appeared. He walked past her to the door and pulled a key from his pocket. He unlocked it and then disappeared back down the corridor before Liliya could even say a word. She hadn't even seen him down the corridor. Her eyebrows pulled together as she watched him walk away but simply put it to one side.

Her hand grabbed the door and pushed it open. The cool night air hit her like a brick wall and she felt relieved. She used the back of her heel to push the door closed behind her before she walked off into the forest. Her hands swaying by her side as she did so.

The night was cold and the skies were clear. It was the perfect night for star-gazing but she didn't particularly feel like it. So, she just walked around the practically pitch black forest and took in the night air. Letting the cold air fill her lungs as she wondered aimlessly.