Chapter 28 - Father

Chapter 28

Without a further word Brandon was soon pulled away to gallivant with Erin and Glen by one of the far off bone fires.

Against his will Ezekiels eyes followed him, before they came back to rest on his father, who was slowly leading him in the opposite direction.

His father walked him a few feet away from the home, to a table laden with clay cups, turned upside down and stacked in a pyramid shape next to two giant bowls. One filled with off yellow juice. And another filled with chipped ice. Mantilo didn't speak until he had filled two cups up with ice and drink, and quietly handed one cup to Ezekiel.

The off yellow drink was spicy and hard, tasting of pomegranate juice and lemons and an unidentifiable herb that heated up his tongue and spiced his lips. The drink had been named "Sunset" for as long as Ezekiel could remember. A strong brew that was held all year and dished out only once on this joyous occasion, during the three nights of the Celebration. The Brew was a delicacy and a treat for the Shifters, fermented juices that seemed to relax their inner beasts and amp up their friskiness at the same time. Nate jokingly referred to sunset as "catnip in a cup"

Mantilo took a heavy swig from his own drink before turning and hitting Ezekiel with a question that left nothing to be denied or tiptoed around. "You know he's leaving this place in three days...Right?"

Not having to even ask who his father was referring to Ezekiel simply shrugged. "Yeah, I do." He said. "So?" he put forth to the man tilting up an eyebrow at him.

Mantilo snorted "Im confounded! What are you doing Ezekiel, are you trying to get hurt? Or Hurt him? If the mortal is leaving soon, you must not be interested in anything long term."

With a shake of his head Mantilo looked away then back at his son....a strange hostile light entered his father's gaze as he looked at Ezekiel and he asked.

"SO? What is this thing you have going with the poor man? Is this interest in him simply because he is not like us? Are you just hoping to put another notch in your belt? If so, there are plenty of other bachelors to harass in the Clan, despite you being a Reaver Im sure someone will play around with you. You don't have to chase the one man who obviously isn't looking for company, do you?"

Strangely feeling like his father was attempting to defend Brandon in some way Ezekiel sighed and tried to explain what was going on.

"But it's not like that at all....!" Ezekiel began. Then hesitated, unsure of what else to say.

He didn't feel any embarrassment discussing Brandon, or much of anything with his father. Although Ezekiel knew that his father didn't understand his preference for male company...Mantilo didn't spend all of his time jabbing Ezekiel over it either. Unlike Lander.

In fact Mantilo had been the first of his parents to discover Ezekiels sexual orientation.

It was Mantilo who had walked in on Ezekiel and a boy from his past, innocently making out in the forest, back when Ezekiel was in middle school.

Ezekiel didn't even remember Shifting, but suddenly he was in his leopard form and off he ran. He wasn't ashamed of what he had been doing or ashamed of being found doing it. He was scared....He had always been scared that his father would be ashamed OF HIM. So he ran.

Ezekiel remembered running for a mile before his father came out of nowhere and tackled him into the grass.

"Stand up boy!" His father had roared, pulling Ezekiels trembling smaller self to his fourteen year old feet. But in the next moment Mantilo had hugged him and released him.