Chapter 37: Dead

A/N: Again, slight trigger warning, mentions of self harm/suicide, please skip if you're not comfortable

Father says there used to be another world, another side of life. It was quite literally called the other side. It was for the supernatural, for when they died. Supernatural people couldn't find peace, they would just stay there, forever.

But the other side was destroyed, and now there's only darkness.

As a child, I always wondered if I would go there, when I "died".

And then I found out, I didn't sit in darkness. I was in a meadow filled with flowers and grass, overlooking the mountains.

And I saw Nadia.

The first time it happened, it was strange, she cried a lot, and apologized for so many things.

Then she calmed down and just watched me as I explained what had happened, she had love in her eyes.

After we talked, and she explained everything, she would cry again, because she knew time was up.

Time was up... and I would wake up, panting and confused, usually staring at an extremely worried dad.

After my first time "dying" resulted in seeing my sister, it became a toxic habit. I would "die" at least twice a week.

I felt like I needed more answers, but Nadia didn't have them. She didn't know why I got to see her, of course she didn't mind.

But like the protective older sister she always was, she started getting upset.

"You shouldn't be here, Natalia! You should be living your life, not dying!"

But I didn't want to live, not with all these questions in my head. It felt like part of me was missing.

Until I finally told someone, Aunt Freya.

"You're doing what?" She exclaimed.

"Snapping my neck..." I muttered, "Aunt Freya please listen, I see my sister, I see Nadia!"

Her eyes widened, "How?"

I shrugged, "She doesn't know, I don't know, no one knows."

Aunt Freya began looking through her grimoires, well her mother's grimoires. She came up with a theory.

"Your mother is queen of hell now, she must hold a lot of power, maybe she did this. She, or someone working for her, created a temporary dimension where you are at peace with Nadia."

That was all I needed to know. It brought comfort to me knowing that Nadia had found peace and that it was my mother who got it for her.

"What happened, Natalia? Why are you back?" Her voice was soft, as she stroked my hair.

My eyes flew open and I was back in the meadow.

I panted as I sat up, adjusting my eyes to the sun and making sure I was okay.

Nadia had a stern look on her face, but I could sense her concern, "Natalia, are you alright?"

I didn't answer, only moved closer to her and pulled her in for a tight hug.

This is what I needed.

Nadia's hand ran through my hair and she began humming. I recognized it quickly, it was an old lullaby that my mom used to sing to me. After she passed, Nadia would sing it to me. After they both passed, I would hum it to myself.