All the Way to Hollywood - Chapter 20

Chapter 20

It wasn't much of a surprise that Layla was the one to pick up. I was actually a little relieved. I think I would be able to deal with her better than Adam right now. I was still too mad at him and too heartbroken.

"I thought I told you already--" I cut Layla off and rolled my eyes.

"Look," I said, feeling my temper rise, "I don't wanna hear your annoying voice right now. I was just calling to say I'm going home." I could almost see Layla smirking after I said that. I grimaced.

"I'm so sorry to hear that," Layla said sarcastically. In fact, it was so sarcastic, I could totally picture Layla rolling her eyes. I made a face at Hayley, crossing my eyes and moving my mouth in imitation of Layla. Hayley giggled and covered her mouth.

"I know you are," I said sweetly, "but make sure Adam knows. I don't want him thinking I'm still here, like I still want him."

"It was hopeless for you, anyways," Layla laughed coldly. I stuck my tongue out of the side of my mouth, making it look like I was about to die. Hayley chuckled.

"I guess you two are perfect for each other, then. You're both shallow, famous, and dependant on looks," I said, resting my chin in my hands. My voice almost cracked on the last thing I said to described Layla and Adam... I always thought that Adam was deeper than his good looks... but I guess not. Layla laughed.

"You aren't exactly the prettiest rose in the garden," she said. I rolled my eyes.

"Wow, a metaphor. I wasn't sure you could handle that kind of thing," I said sarcastically. I waited for Layla to say something back, something along the lines of her being prettier than me. Even though I was never considered ugly by anybody, and even though Layla's looks were totally fake.

"When are you leaving?" Layla asked in her annoying, mousey voice.

"Five--" I glanced at Hayley, and she held up four fingers, "no, four days." Layla sighed dramatically.

"Just don't bother me and Adam in those four days. We've got better things to do than see you," she said in an irritating tone.

"Adam and I," I corrected snottily, trying to be as annoying as possible. "And it's not like I'd want to," I added.

"Just make sure to let Adam know I'm heading home," I said bitterly. With that, I hung up and slid my phone back into my pocket.

"So I'm guessing that was Layla," Hayley said flatly. I gave her a sarcastic look.

"What gave it away? Talking about Adam in third person? Or the way I kept making faces?"

"Touchy," Hayley said, backing off and holding up her hands. I put my head down on the table. We sat there in silence, which was extremely rare. Hayley and I are usually chatterboxes. But since this was a... special occassion, we were quiet.

"Will a cookie cheer you up?" Hayley asked me. I peeked up at her from behind my arm.

"Oatmeal raisin?"

She nodded, and pushed herself away from the table. We were sitting in a little bakery, since this was an outdoor mall. Even though I loved cookies more than any other food on the planet, the bajillion different cookie scents were getting to me. I felt myself start to get a headache, and I groaned. I bet it was the heartbreak, not the smells. I shut myself back into the darkness by putting my head down again.

I just can't believe Adam had changed so much. When we were little, in middle school, he was so incredibly genuine. It's not that he was never sarcastic or never said a single bad word. That would've been a little weird if he was that nice all the time. It made him more realistic. If only things had actually worked out between us, but I guess I was too late, or it just wasn't meant to be.

I sighed. There's no use pining over him now. It's hopeless. I might as well just try to slam a revolving door. It won't work.

I thought back to when Adam's agent arrived at school in the limo. I remembered the principal's voice when she announced it over the PA system, for everyone to come out and see the commotion. She also added that Adam Martin was the person of interest.

Now when I found out it was all about Adam, I didn't know whether to feel excited or scared. We were close friends, and I really liked him. So I didn't know if this would boost his popularity (which seemed almost impossible back then) or if it wouldn't make a difference. I remember being right next to him when the whole student body flooded out into the bus loop, where Adam's future agent was waiting.

When the future agent popped the question, not a lot of people were confused as to why Adam was picked to pursue an acting career. First of all, his looks. It was a no-brainer that a blue-eyed kid would make it big. And second of all, Adam's youtube account.

It sounds incredibly unlikely for someone to be discovered through youtube. Unless you're Justin Bieber, but that's different. That's singing. Adam and his best friend, Alex, made up their own skits in their videos and of course, everyone in our school watched them. Soon enough, their popularity skyrocketed. It just made me like Adam more, and I supported his growing popularity.

Oh boy, I wish I could just get in a time machine right now and just change...

"Get up, grumpy. Your cookie has arrived," Hayley said. I lifted my head as she slid back into her seat and held out the glorious oatmeal raisin cookie. It was the size of my face, and even though I felt like bursting into tears, I grinned, in spite of everything.

"You're saying it like we're on the red carpet," I said, taking a bite out of the cookie. I closed my eyes. It tasted so good. Cookies are magical.

"Cookies like these belong on the red carpet," Hayley said, her mouth full of chocolate chip. Yeah, we got separate cookies. Her chocolate chip one was normal-sized, but mine was giant-sized since I needed some comfort food.

"Speaking of the red carpet... I hope Adam and Layla trip when they're at their movie premiere," I said bitterly, viciously taking another bite out of my cookie. My sudden feeling of something close to happiness had dropped, at the thought of those two. I grimaced.

"Four days, Jen. Just four days left, and we'll be home," Hayley said, trying to comfort me.

I nodded, hoping that everything will be fine when we get home. I hoped that no one had changed as much as Adam had the nerve to when he left.

<><><>

I'll be uploading another chappie now! ^.^

Hope you liked it... WE ARE NEARING THE END, PEOPLE!