All the Way to Hollywood - Chapter 16

Chapter 16

"I'm gonna go hang with Mark," Hayley said to me. I looked at her, my eyes wide.

"Bus boy?" I asked. Hayley wiggled her eyebrows and said, "You know it."

Wow. So bus boy and Hayley were getting comfortable. "So you're leaving me in my time of need? I just bought us lattes!" I whined, holding up two plastic cups. I watched the ice swirl around in the coffee, hoping Hayley would give in to the whipped creamy goodness. But I guess I wasn't the only one good at pouting.

"Mark's leaving tomorrow! His position is changing to San Francisco!" Hayley said, pouting her lips. Oh. I see.

"Well if that's the case..." Hayley's eyes got wide and a slow smile spread across her face.

"Get outta here," I said, forcing a half-smile. I bet it looked like a really sorry excuse for a half-smile. Honestly, how smiley can I get when I had my first fight with my dream boyfriend? And when I'm left alone with two lattes? Someone's gotta finish the other one. I'm watching my caffeine intake, so it's definitely not for me.

I sat at an outside table, propping my feet up on the empty seat next to mine. I put on my sunglasses, knowing I probably looked horrible. I bet my eyeliner was all smudged, and I cursed myself for not bringing my waterproof make-up. But I didn't even imagine I'd cry, coming to Hollywood to find the crush of my life...

Who am I even kidding? I should've expected a bucket of tears by the end of this trip. Did I honestly think that it would work out? Did I really think that Adam would still be the same as he was in the eighth grade?

I guess I'm a really stupid girl.

I sighed heavily, taking a long sip of my coffee. I finished off the last of it, and then it was just ice. Maybe I will drink the other one. I reached for the second cup, but my phone vibrated in my pocket. I jumped, nearly falling out of my chair. I pulled out my phone, still vibrating, and checked the caller ID.

"Adam <3".

Note to self: Erase that stupid less-than-three heart.

As much as I wanted to ignore the call, I ruefully picked up. I didn't say anything; I waited for Adam to realize I had picked up.

A few moments of silence passed.

"Jen, I'm sorry. If you even think for a second that there's anything between me and Layla..."

"Who said anything about you and Layla?" I said, frowning. Adam sighed.

"So the last thing you said before you left... What was that supposed to mean?" he asked. I thought back to what I had said before I left. It was something about asking Layla instead of me. I don't really remember these things.

"What was I responding to, again?"

Adam was silent for a few seconds.

"I was suggesting how bad getting fired would look bad on my college app," he said quietly. I bit my lip, thinking of a way to respond. I was honestly too tired to even talk.

"And I told you to ask Layla," I said, hanging up. I didn't feel the need to say more. It didn't even feel like Adam was even trying to say sorry. He didn't even say sorry.

I was beginning to believe that Lisa was right.

Maybe that stuck-up idiot had some reasoning.

~~~

Hayley had to drag me back to the set. I acted like a two-year old and sat on the ground, not moving. Hayley just grabbed my wrist and started dragging my butt across the street.

We got so many cars honking at us, it wasn't funny. Except it was.

We also got a few middle fingers flipped at us, and a little bit of choice words on the side, but I wasn't getting up. And Hayley definitely wasn't about to carry my sorry butt across the street. I had just finished two lattes, and it's possible I could've gained a couple ounces of weight.

When we got across the street, I realized it was time to stop putting my jeans through that misery. I finally got up and dusted off my butt.

"Now's when you get up," Hayley huffed, glaring at me. I laughed.

"Getting dragged across the street is pretty fun. You can try next time," I said, finally able to smile without forcing it.

"So I won't have to drag you back to the set?"

"You can call bus boy to do it for you," I said, remembering Mark wasn't leaving until tomorrow. After my mood got better, I realized I wanted to fix this.

Just at the sound of his name, Hayley squealed and called him right away.

<><><>

I don't know where I'm going with this...