All the Way to Hollywood - Chapter 19

Chapter 19

"You're absolutely sure you want to?" Hayley asked, her eyes wide. I nodded.

"He was the whole reason we came here. I don't get why we have to stay," I muttered. We were standing in the ticket line at LAX. I had sunglasses over my eyes; the sun was just so blindingly bright.

"Maybe 'cuz it's freakin' Hollywood," Hayley pointed out.

Hmm, good point. I sighed.

"I know, Hayley. But I'll be unhappy for the rest of the summer," I said miserably. Hayley raised an eyebrow at me. She had a persistent look on her face. I sighed again, bracing myself for one of Hayley's rants.

"Like that'll change in New York," she muttered. I waited for her to continue, to tell me that this was the perfect opportunity to get over Adam, and to finally delete his number off my phone. But she just turned away silently. I guess she's using the silent treatment this time.

"You're not gonna break me," I said. Hayley crossed her arms and turned away.

"You won't last five minutes without talking," I pointed out. Hayley didn't move. I shrugged. I told her, she's not gonna get to me.

We were close to the ticket desk; there was only a family in front of us. The only time Hayley moved was when the line did, but she stayed turned around, with her arms crossed. It was pretty funny, seeing how Hayley tried out the silent treatment.

"Ma'am?"

I turned around, realizing it was my turn in line. "Yes," I said, walking to the counter. Hayley was still turned around, probably with some ridiculous expression on her face. I watched to see if she would move, but she didn't. The ticket man cleared his throat. I turned my attention back to him, starting to get annoyed with Hayley. So I just ignored her.

"Let me have two tickets to your earliest flight back to New York," I said, leaning against the counter. The middle-aged man nodded and typed something into his computer. I resisted the urge to glare at Hayley. She was still being extremely quiet. Well, guess what? We're leaving soon, no matter what she doesn't say.

"The next four flights for New York are booked. The next flight is on Tuesday," the man said, looking up from his computer screen. My jaw dropped. Hayley burst into a cheer next to me. She started doing her happy dance, which included mini fist pumps and cheerleading jumps. I rubbed my temples.

"You're sure there aren't two measly seats on any of those flights?" I asked, pinching the bridge of my nose. Hayley had started humming a random tune next to me, beaming at the ticket man.

"I'm absolutely, one hundred percent sure," he said. I pursed my lips.

"I'll take them," I said.

~~~

"Oh yeah, uh-huh, I won, I won," Hayley sang, dancing alongside me. I glared at her.

"I liked it better when you didn't talk," I said sourly. Hayley winced mockingly.

"Ouch," she said. "You're a mean best friend."

I shrugged apathetically. It's not like I was actually gonna do anything these last five days we had here. I was probably just gonna mope around in our giant hotel room, while Hayley goes out shopping.

"I'm gonna have to drag you places, aren't I," Hayley said, watching me with narrowed eyes. I shook my head slowly, hoping she'd catch the hint that I don't wanna go anywhere.

"That's a yes," she said cheerily.

~~~

The next few days were filled with me being dragged to the mall by Hayley. She tried getting me to talk to some cute guys, to help me get over Adam. But every time she dragged me to a group of guys, I just turned around and walked away. Then she'd come up with some lame excuse as to why I left.

"Hayley," I said, "thanks for the help, but I'm fine. I don't need a boyfriend every second of my life."

"Obviously, Adam was your first," she said insensitively. I felt my eyes start to water, and I saw Hayley's face change when she realized what she said. I slammed my face onto the table, the blow blocked by my arms. Here come the waterworks.

I could barely hear Hayley's terrible attempts at apologizing. She kept saying that she's never even had a boyfriend, and that I was lucky enough to even have one, even though he turned out to be a lying, cheating idiot. That last thing made me cry more.

"Jen, stop it. Adam's not worth it," Hayley told me, gently shaking my shoulder. That one got me to look up at her, her face blurred by all the tears. I quickly wiped them away, noticing there was no light gray streak across the back of my hand. Going natural is good.

"Now seriously. I'm not gonna make you talk to cute guys anymore, but you've got to get over him," Hayley said. "We've got four days left before our flight."

"Should I be mature and call him?"

"If you think it's the right thing to do." Hayley shrugged.

<><><>

Short, but it's something. I'm trying to make up for all the times I put this story on hold... so I'll be uploading more! ^.^

Thanks for reading! :D