All the Way to Hollywood - Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I woke up, Saturday morning, feeling more anxious than ever.

My phone went off, playing one of those cheesy digital default ringtones. It was Hayley. I slid open the phone and held it to my ear. I hesitated before saying anything.

"...Hello?" I said.

"We're here," she said, sounding confident. I was confused. Who's here? Who's we? I sighed.

"Explain," I said, pulling on a pair of shorts.

"Just tell me if you're ready or not," Hayley said, obvioiusly not going to explain what was going on.

"Umm, just about ready; I have to change my shirt. I can't exactly do that while I'm on the phone, can I," I said, pulling a shirt off its hanger. Hayley sighed.

"Hurry up," she whined, dragging out the last word. I groaned, tossed my phone onto my bed, and quickly changed my shirt. I grabbed my phone and put it back to my ear. "Okay, I'm done."

"Look outside." I sighed, threw open my windows, and looked down. I should've guessed! Hayley's just one of those people who will keep you guessing and do stuff without even planning it. I grinned and waved at her. She was sitting in the passenger's seat, with her older brother in the driver's seat. I waved to him, too.

I hung up my phone and slid my feet into some flip flops I pulled my suitcase out of the back of my closet that I had already packed yesterday. I threw my suitcase onto the ground outside. I didn't have to worry about electronics, because those were all stuffed in my giant purse. I locked my door as quickly and quietly as possible. I threw my secret rope ladder out the window and started climbing down, clutching my huge purse in one hand.

I grabbed my suitcase and ran to Hayley's brother's car. I threw my suitcase and my purse in the trunk and slammed it shut. I climbed in the backseat.

"Hey Jen," Hayley's brother (named Ashton) said. I smiled. "Hey Ash," I replied. Ashton was like a brother to me, since I've been over to Hayley's house so many times. I looked at Hayley from the rearview mirror.

"If my parents ground me, I better not be alone," I said. Hayley shrugged. "You were the one who said yes, I'm just along for the excitement," she said cheerily. "By the way, I didn't notice how cute your neighborhood is before. It's so cozy and small," she added, taking note of the miniature houses. Well, they're miniature compared to her GIANT mansion; Hayley's family is stinkin' RICH.

"Compared to your neighborhood, which is gorgeous!" I said, continuing to describe the beautiful mansions that surrounds Hayley's. But Hayley's is the biggest and most amazing I've seen so far. It's nice to have a rich best friend.

"Then switch houses. Hayley needs to get out already," Ashton said. I laughed, but Hayley punched Ashton's shoulder. "Me?! You're the one who's eighteen!" she said, frowning. Ashton scoffed.

"Mom and dad stopped giving me allowance! You know, that was my only source of income!" he said defensively. I chuckled, imagining how much Hayley's allowance could possibly be. "Get a job, idiot!" Hayley shot back. I laughed throughout their whole argument, and I must say, they were pretty oblivious to it.

We finally got to the airport at around 10:10. Ashton helped us unload our stuff. We gave him a hug from each of us, and then he climbed back into his car. He drove off, and I made sure I had everything. When I was sure, Hayley led me to the gate for our flight. It was almost completely empty; no one was about to take a vacation two weeks before summer started.

"Flight 12-E to Hollywood is now boarding. Flight 12-E to Hollywood is now boarding," the man said over the speaker. I sighed and stood up. Hayley and I walked into the plane, and I was already bracing myself for the myriad of crazy events ahead of me.