"It's kind of creepy to wake up with you staring at me unblinking like that," Axle croaked and rubbed the palm of his hand over his sleepy face.

"I didn't want to wake you," that was the whole point of not falling asleep, dammit.

"I figured," He palmed my cheek and I melted against him. "But you don't need to worry about me. I operate on less sleep anyway."

"That doesn't make me feel any better. And I'm sure everyone else in this house could use a decent sleep anyway, I'm just taking one for the team," Axle shrugged a shoulder, dropping his hand to rest behind his head as I curled up beside him. Nice and warm.

"Eh, they've all bought earplugs at this point," He chuckled when I smacked his chest.

"That does not make me feel better, asshole."

"Just go to sleep, darling," his voice was slurred like he was almost asleep anyway, so I hummed out an agreement to satisfy him and instead cast my eyes to the ceiling. Moonlight was seeping in through a crack in the curtains and I listened intently. It was rare that the house would be so quiet, with what, tens of families living in its walls, and the guest rooms always occupied. But tonight was still, there was hardly even a whisper of a breeze outside of the window.

"Dream of sweet things for me this time," Axle murmured and I tore my attention away from the window.

"I'll do that."

Sometime later the dancing of shadows on the wall and his patterned snoring lulled me to sleep despite how much I fought it.

The room turned dark, chilled, and empty. My hand blindly patted the covers for Axle's hand, desperate to feel any amount of comfort as my heart raced within my chest. They always started like this, like I was slipping from my world into another. But I was alone, and everything felt so real. Too real.

"It's almost sweet how you reach for him every time," the voice taunted, almost his, but not quite. The words were stuck in my throat, the walls around me tightening as the bed beside me dipped. Red eyes only inches away from my own looked me up and down, relishing in the terror that overtook me.

"You're just as weak as ever, it would be so easy to–"

"Then do it," I found my voice, might as well die with my own words bringing it upon me. But I knew he wouldn't kill me. Well, aside from the fact that I was dreaming, Eon couldn't bring himself to do it. I knew that much. 

He faltered, eyes shimmering grey before they hardened and he bared his teeth. "You're just a coward. You're in hiding, and maybe you're dead, but you're a coward, that's all you've ever been."

"Shut up, Amira," his hand slammed down onto the mattress beside my head and I flinched down. I've always been so gifted at making him angry, even when it's a dream version of him.

Eon and emotional stability do not go hand in hand. 

He laughed then, a disbelieving sort that even in my shaking fear had me bunching my eyebrows together as I squinted up through the dark of the room at him.

"You still think that this is all just a dream?" My words were stuck again.

"That's all it is," He shook his head, moving off of me just as flames licked up the walls of the room and shot up to devour the curtains. Paint crackled and peeled as the smell of smoke flooded my lungs.

"You are still incredibly naive, baby," I ground my teeth together, coughing violently as I pushed myself to my elbows.

"This is just a dream–"

Amira!

"You can't really think I'm done with you yet."

"–Get the fuck out of my head!"

Amira!

"I'm crafted by the God, Amira. Gods don't hide," I blinked at him. He's insane, even in my own head he's insane. 

Eon sighed, glancing around the room in half-hearted interest. The flames were higher now, angrier, the smoke denser in the room and it honest to Gods felt like I was suffocating. 

My body vibrated as I swung my legs over the side of the bed. Eon touched one of the flames with his bare hands, unbothered as it swirled around his skin. "You need to wake up now, consider this a... hello from me, a tangible one." He moved back closer to me and I pushed away instantly. Hell, freaking no was I letting dream Eon touch me.

"Not a dream, Morris," He pushed harshly against my chest, knocking the remaining fresh air out of my lungs and sending me sprawling onto my back "Wake up."

"Wake up, come on Amira, please wake up!" My eyes snapped open, the room brightened by the light of the moon, and there were no flames, no Eon, but there was Axle and there was heavy smoke rising from underneath the bottom crack of the door.

"What–"

"Oh thank the Gods," Axle slumped slightly before scooping me up into his arms and pressing a wet cloth to my nose. "Hold this, we have to get out."

Axle began sprinting down the hall towards the stairs and it took me a moment for my head to catch up, but once I did I looked over his shoulder at Alba's room.

"Alba– Alba we can't–"

"Emma's got her," He coughed, and after what felt like ages we made it out of the house, not stopping running until we were at the line of trees surrounding the property. 

Everyone was there, covered in ash and coughing, sirens wailing in the background until it all went silent with a deafening boom. The house went up in flames and smoke, pieces of wood shooting up towards the sky like rockets as we all stared blankly, unable to process what had been our home.

"Everything was in there," Cara spluttered, wiping the ash away from her glowering eyes. "Everything we'd found."

"Oh my gods," bile rose in my throat, hugging Alba close my chest as she sobbed into my neck about not being able to bring her stuffed walrus with her when Emma meanly snatched her from her nice little dream. I soothed her softly, staring at the ball of fire before us.

Consider this a hello from me, a tangible one.

Here's the epilogue folks, I know there is a lot to sort through and still a lot of loose ends and maybe even some glaring plotholes, but I thank you all for reading and going on this journey with me

Here's the epilogue folks, I know there is a lot to sort through and still a lot of loose ends and maybe even some glaring plotholes, but I thank you all for reading and going on this journey with me. The story is far from over, but this first book is.

I, of course, would like to thank everyone for reading this. Y'all are so amazing, and I know that this ending probably isn't as... great as it could be, but I really appreciate everyone's kind words and their patience.