Chapter 47

A/N: Warning! There will be unpleasant sentences in here. You have been warned; so whatever reason you'll have to blame me later, wouldn't exist😌.

Nancy's P.O.V

" Yeah, same to you."

"I probably should have called earlier; was stuck with a patient in surgery. How was your New year's day?" Paulina asks over the phone.

I throw my legs carelessly on the bed, shrugging, even though I know she cannot see any gesture I make. "Mine has been...quite a great one. I mean, of all the New Years I have had, this has got to be the most different and... I don't know, just different."

"Hm..." She hums. "I actually called for two things. I have said one thing and I'm going to ask the other. I hope you don't get offended or anything. It's just been on my mind since the last time you were here."

I sit up straight, prepping myself for yet another bad or shocking news. "What is it?"

"About Carlos' death... How far have you and Campbell gone on the case? Found the killer yet?" Paulina asks quietly.

Oh. I forgot I didn't tell her.

I shake my head unconsciously. "Campbell called few days back and told me the case has been called off. He didn't give me much reason as to why; didn't even give me time to ask."

"So, the case was just called off? Just like that? Man, I thought for once the police was doing a great job; doing it well! What did I expect? I'm sure someone paid him off." Paulina scoffs.

"Someone paid him off or the woman caught up to him?" I suggest, but then I let out a long tired sigh. "Paulina, to be honest, I have no idea who this person is, or what their deal is."

I hear silence right after. Maybe she's thinking of what to say, cause the line is still on.

To be clear, Paulina is still on my suspect list. She hasn't been ruled out.

"I totally understand, Nancy. I can't imagine what you're going through right now cause death and life isn't something funny at all. Anyways, take care. Watch your back, be careful, all that safety cautions they always say... Happy New Year once again." She wishes. I just hum in acknowledgement, so she cuts the call right after.

I fling my phone to the other side of the bed and immediately, Nina opens the door. She doesn't come inside; just stands at the door, looking at me like she's trying to decode me or something. It's like she's analysing me.

"What?" I snap lightly.

She shrugs, walking over to the bed to take a seat. "It's just... I can't believe how our lives got to this extent. I never saw it coming."

If you had paid greater/even effortless attention to Henry, you would've seen it coming long time ago.

Instead of saying those words that I know will definitely cause a fight, I nod in response. "Yeah."

Paulina is just one of the many people that has called me since Nina and I got back from Micarah's studio few hours ago. When I got back, I saw the forwarded email containing her account number, so I transferred the money. Nina was obviously not happy about it, cause according to her; "it was the lamest bullshit clue she has ever heard". That didn't stop me though. I made a deal with Micarah to give her the money, so I did.

After that, calls just kept coming. Texts, WhatsApp messages...different things. Dani, Damien, Tony, Abby - almost everyone I know called; which is bizarre to me cause most of the crew that wished me, saw me earlier today in the meeting with Mr Harry. So why didn't they just walk up to me to wish me? It's funny; really.